PHOTOS: Leicester City 0 Burnley 0

FOOTBALL is a game of margins, and the Clarets went within inches of equalling a club record.

The Clarets have only bettered this season's number of wins on the road on four occasion's in the club's history, those being 1947, 1961, 1973 and 1992.

And that feat could have been equalled, with 11, when Charlie Austin's second half header trickled across the line in-between hitting both posts. Even when the rebound landed kindly for a simple tap in, Sol Bamba recovered well to slice the ball off the striker's foot. Then, from the resulting corner, Austin was denied again when his header was cleared off the line.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the first half the Clarets, equipped with a five man midfield, with Marvin Bartley replacing Josh McQuoid while Ross Wallace was pushed forward following the inclusion of Danny Lafferty at full-back, were comfortable barring an early scare when Lloyd Dyer's frightening injection of pace on the edge of the box saw him squeeze past Wallace and Dean Marney, forcing Grant in to a smart, low save.

The Clarets put men behind the ball, intent on taking the sting out of City's attacks, and were patient on the ball, comfortably sweeping the ball about before finding the decisive pass. And they went close to the opener when Wallace and skipper Chris McCann worked the ball cleverly on the edge of the box before finding Austin who had his fierce attempt beaten away by Kasper Schmeichel.

As the game crept by Burnley's midfield began to dictate the play, forcing City to chase the game. And with the Foxes alarmed and pinned back the Clarets sensed weakness. Austin raced in to the area, looking to pull the ball back for McCann, but the pass was under hit and Paul Konchesky cleared.

Burnley's momentum was mounting; Austin's snap shot from Lafferty's centre was well blocked by Bamba, Trippier drilled wide after robbing Dyer of possession and Wallace's free-kick from distance fizzed in to the arms of Schmeichel.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But City always had the quality to pose problems and Grant had to be alert to thwart Danny Drinkwater at his near post. The keeper was called in to action again moments later, denying Ben Marshall's bending free-kick with a strong palm.

City finished the half stronger; Grant looking relieved to see Drinkwater's header dip wide of the far post while former Claret loanee David Nugent crashed a shot just over the bar from 30 yards out.

The Foxes had the majority of the possession after the break but lacked the idea to craft a route through Burnley's resilient rearguard. The half-time guests at the King Power Stadium were Ricky Hatton and Celtic manager Neil Lennon, a boxer and a champion, but Nigel Pearson's side were without the necessary knockout punch or the winning mentality to punish the Clarets.

Eddie Howe's side continued to frustrate, tracking runners, tucking in to gaps and doubling up when necessary to restrict the home side. Trippier headed Lee Peltier's header off the line and Grant saved well at Nugent's feet after Stanislas conceded possession on the edge of his own box.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Austin was then denied in agonising fashion before Nugent had an effort blocked from the angle of the area courtesy of Konchesky's clever reverse pass. Drinkwater drilled a speculative effort past the angle as City pressed for the winner but Austin had the chance to steal all three points when he headed over from Trippier's measured cross in injury time.

"It's another clean sheet which is really pleasing," said Howe. "Before the game I was chatting with the players and we were desperate to go for the 12 wins away from home and make history. But it's a good point. I felt we were excellent in the first half and a bit more desperate in the second half and Leicester created the most chances. But we put together some great moves on the counter attack, especially in the first half, which we'd worked on and on another day we could have won."