PHOTOS: Burnley FC 1, Leicester City 3

FORMER Claret loanee David Nugent returned to Turf Moor to haunt Eddie Howe's side as managerless Leicester City ran out 3-1 winners.

The Foxes striker, who scored six times during an eight month stint with the Clarets in the Premier League, struck the away side's second goal which proved to be the catalyst for Burnley's first midweek defeat in 29 games.

The 26-year-old grabbed his fifth of the season in the 54th minute after Paul Gallagher's perfect cross left the forward with the simple task of nodding the ball past Lee Grant from close range.

Hide Ad

Nugent fired the warning signals in the early stages of the Championship encounter when David Edgar misjudged the bounce of the ball allowing the one-time England international to get around the back of the defence before attempting a speculative right-footed effort from the angle of the box which Grant did well to save with his fingertips.

Jay Rodriguez went close soon after following Kasper Schmeichel's poor clearance but the Burnley hitman wasn't expecting it and failed to bring the ball under control. The 22-year-old was involved again when he benefitted from defender Sol Bamba's slip before swapping a pass with strike partner Charlie Austin only to fire a weak attempt towards Scheichel's near post.

Burnley looked comfortable in possession, opting for patient build-up play, but it was City's route one preference that caused problems and Nugent went close again when he raced in-between Andre Amougou and Ben Mee from Steve Howard's flick only to fire a fierce half-volley over the bar.

Hide Ad

The breakthrough came in the 20th minute when Howard's header was cleared as far as Paul Konchesky by Edgar and the Foxes full-back, under little pressure, hasd the freedom to thump a left-footed drive at goal from 20 yards which Grant could only push in to the net.

But the home side didn't have to wait long for an equaliser. Just three minutes later Schmeichel's punch from Trippier's throw was met by the head of Ross Wallace who gratefully nodded the ball in to an empty net.

Hide Ad

The Clarets finished the half the stronger team and forced City on the back foot. First Marvin Bartley's storming run, which saw him evade the attentions of both Gallagher and Bamba, ended with Schmeichel saving and the Leicester stopper had to be alert again to tip Mee's dipping cross over the bar.

Hide Ad

The first half ended with an opportunity for Austin as he was threaded through on goal by Rodriguez but his poked effort was diverted on to the post by the boot of Bamba before rebounding in to the arms of Schmeichel.

The second half started as the first half ended and Amougou almost rewarded Burnley's efforts when he sent a powerful header goalwards from Wallace's corner, but Lee Peltier cleared off his own line.

Hide Ad

City broke against the run of play to take the lead through Nugent and that advantage was doubled eight minutes later when referee Geoff Eitringham awarded a controversial penalty; Amougou was adjudged to have obstructed midfielder Richie Wellens path through to goal. Up stepped Gallagher and the former Blackburn Rovers forward converted the spot kick low to Grant's right.

The hosts pushed in hope of finding a way back in to the fixture but to no avail as Nugent's pace and Howard's strength and aerial presence proved too much for the Clarets to handle as City held on to win 3-1.