PHOTOS: Bath City 1, Burnley 3

NEW signing Sam Vokes made his Clarets debut as Burnley maintained their 100% pre-season record in bizarre fashion at Bath City.

Vokes agreed a three-year deal shortly before kick-off after a fee believed to be in the region of £500,000 was agreed with Wolves.

And seconds after his arrival off the bench on the hour, the Clarets saw their 1-0 lead, courtesy of a Keith Treacy goal- cancelled out - although Bath substitute Adie Harris was merely trying to return the ball sportingly to keeper Brian Jensen after Kieran Trippier received treatment shortly before going off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The referee awarded the goal, but Bath allowed George Porter to go clean through unchallenged, although keeper Jason Mellor hadn't read the script and made a save, only for Porter to net at the second attempt.

Ross Wallace settled the issue late on with a fierce left foot strike.

Burnley had started brightly, allowed to move the ball at pace, and Junior Stanislas had an early sight of goal, guiding a shot just beyond the far post after cutting onto his left foot.

At the other end Danny Lafferty had to be alert to cut out a dangerous centre from Aaron Brown, but the Irish international did most of his best work going the other way, in tandem with Chris McCann, who put over a delightful cross for Charlie Austin, whose header was deflected over by Danny Ball.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After 15 minutes, Danny Ings had a shot saved by Glyn Garner after Lafferty and McCann combined to find Austin, whose effort fell to the former Bournemouth man.

And Ings then headed a decent opportunity just over the angle from a searching centre from Trippier.

Adam Connolly forced a routine stop from Jensen with a neat volley as the hosts threatened, but the Clarets continued to press forward, and Lafferty sent a lob wide after Austin's shot was blocked - with the unmarked Ings screaming for a pass.

However, City frustrated Burnley going into the break.

Eddie Howe made no changes to his starting XI at the break, and Burnley continued to make chances, as Ings headed over from Lafferty's cross.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But Ings turned provider on 56 minutes as he drove forward and fed Treacy, who drilled a shot inside the post despite the best efforts of substitute keeper Jason Mellor.

Burnley made mass changes on the hour, including Vokes, but as the game was restarted Harris lobbed Jensen by accident, before Bath allowed Porter through to restore Burnley's lead.

Vokes had two chances to find the net, first poking Joseph Mills' cross just wide of the near post, before getting an attempt to bend the ball inside the far corner all wrong from Wallace's pass.

Porter fizzed a shot in that needed turning round the post, before Wallace sealed the win at the death with a typical left-foot daisy cutter inside the near post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Burnley: Jensen; Trippier, Duff, Mee, Lafferty; Stanislas, Marney, McCann, Treacy; Ings; Austin.

On 60 mins: Jensen; Long, Edgar, Shackell; O'Neill, Hewitt, MacDonald, Mills; Porter, Wallace; Vokes

• The Burnley Express has launched a FREE football app which is now available to download on iPhone and Android devices.

Related topics: