Huddersfield Town 2, Burnley FC 0: PHOTO SLIDESHOW

HUDDERSFIELD Town’s Jordon Rhodes (22), English football’s 40-goal top scorer last season while in League One, finished superbly for Huddersfield’s second-half clincher against the Clarets yesterday.

Rhodes, who scored a stoppage-time penalty equaliser against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday, smashed a 58th-minute shot into the top corner after James Vaughan caused problems in the box.

Town made the perfect start when centre-back Joel Lynch headed his first goal for the club in the seventh minute.

Vaughan, who joined on a season-long loan from Norwich on Friday, won the corner and boyhood Burnley fan Oliver Norwood launched the set-piece for Lynch to head home despite an attempt to clear it off the line.


Hide Ad

Joseph Mills thought he had kept the ball out but the assistant referee gave the goal.

Rhodes struck the bar with a header and forced Lee Grant into a point-blank save.

Burnley lacked punch up front but thought they had equalised when David Edgar’s shot was touched in by Charlie Austin, but referee David Webb ruled it out for off-side.

Rhodes sealed it after the break and though the Clarets pressed, they failed to make a serious attempt on the Huddersfield goal.


Hide Ad

Burnley boss Eddie Howe said: “I need to see the first goal again and also our disallowed goal.

“Joe Mills thought he had kept the first one out and for our effort the ball nicked Charlie but it didn’t look like he was beyond the defender.”

Howe was concerned his side conceded from set-pieces and said: “That is not like us. It was a bad day from that point of view.

“In the final third we lacked a bit of spark and invention and did not have an end product.


Hide Ad

“I thought we dominated possession and we hoped to create chances and score goals but it didn’t happen.”

Burnley lost back-to-back games for the first time since March and Howe said: “In this league you have to bounce back.

“This league is very difficult and we have to make sure we are tougher to beat.”