FT: Burnley 0, Southampton 1

Sean Dyche's 400th game as a manager ended in defeat to Southampton at Turf Moor.

Saturday, 26th September 2020, 9:54 pm
Updated Saturday, 26th September 2020, 9:58 pm
Kevin Long looks on as Danny Ings makes it 1-0

Former Clarets striker Danny Ings scored what proved to be the winner after only five minutes.

But Burnley, and especially Chris Wood, will feel aggrieved after being denied a penalty in the first half, and an 'equaliser' after a bizarre passage of play.

Dale Stephens came in for his debut - his 100th Premier League appearance, meaning Josh Brownhill shifted back to a narrow position on the right.

Matej Vydra replaced Jay Rodriguez, who rolled an ankle at Millwall on Wednesday night, but yet again there was no James Tarkowski, whose toe injury, amid a £30m offer from Leicester City being knocked back, kept him out.

Nick Pope received treatment in the warm-up for what looked to be an injured thumb on his right hand. but he appeared in the tunnel looking to have no discomfort.

Pope was picking the ball out of his net within five minutes, however, as a poor pass from Oriol Romeu encouraged Dwight McNeil to press, but Kyle Walker-Peters used the space he left to push on and thread a superb ball through for Che Adams, who, faced with Pope closing him down, pulled the ball back for Ings to finish.

Southampton's pace and movement continued to unsettle the Burnley backline, and Adams scooped over from Ryan Bertrand's cross after another incisive move.

Burnley improved and enjoyed a decent spell, as Jannik Vestergaard blocked Brownhill's shot from a Vydra cross, after a lovely step over, the Czech Republic forward linking well with Wood.

Vydra then had a shot deflected over after reacting first following a failed overhead attempt from a Dwight McNeil cross.

Dyche wasn't amused as Wood chased down a ball over the top from Phil Bardsley and was shadowed by Jan Bednarek, who put both hands in Wood's back and sent him to ground.

Soft? Probably, but you've seen penalties given for less.

Referee Andre Marriner gavce a free kick the other way.

Moments later Moussa Djenepro caught Bardsley with an elbow, which didn't look malicious, but drew blood.

Marriner again gave the Saints the benefit of the doubt.

Ashley Westwood then whipped a free kick to the back post which almost flew in, with Kevin Long not far away from getting his head on it.

After the break, Wood headed across goal from an early Westwood cross, but Alex McCarthy was able to gather ahead of Vydra.

Bardsley was the first in the book after a late challenge on Djenepo, having tried to pull out of the challenge

But there was then a baffling moment as, from Pope's clearance, Wood ran back towards his own goal to stay onside, then turned and closed down Ryan Bertrand, whose back pass was short.

Wood picked the ball up and, as the whistle blew, beat McCarthy, but the goal didn't count. No one was any the wiser, with Dyche furious.

However, under the new rule, assistant referees should not raise their flag if there is a goalscoring opportunity, and if it had stayed down, VAR could then check it - but it left the vast majority of people bemused.

Pictures later showed Wood was narrowly offside, but confusion reigned.

Burnley maintained their head of steam, and Charlie Taylor forced a fine save from McCarthy with a half volley, but the Clarets were unable to craft that golden chance the required, and are still looking for their first point after their opening two Premier League games.

Burnley: Pope; Bardsley, Long, Dunne, Taylor; McNeil, Stephens, Westwood, Brownhill, Vydra, Wood.

Subs not used: Peacock-Farrell, Lowton, Thomas, Pieters, Benson, Glennon, Goodridge.