FT: Burnley 0, Manchester City 3

Raheem Sterling makes it 2-0Raheem Sterling makes it 2-0
Raheem Sterling makes it 2-0
Burnley exited the Carabao Cup at the hands of holders Manchester City at Turf Moor.

Raheem Sterling netted in each half, before Ferran Torres netted his first goal for City, to end the Clarets' best run in the competition since 2013.

James Tarkowski made a first start of the season for Burnley, after recovering from an inflamed toe, while Ashley Barnes returned for his first involvement since New Year's Day.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Manchester City, despite Pep Guardiola's protestations about injury problems, went very strong, including Kevin De Bruyne, Riyad Mahrez, Sterling, Ferran Torres, Rodri, Fernandinho, Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Aymeric Laporte.

Guardiola also gave a debut to 18-year-old attacking midfielder Cole Palmer, who played against Burnley in the FA Youth Cup quarter-final in March.

Burnley hadn't reached the last 16 in seven years, when they went out 2-0 at home to West Ham, while City were chasing a fourth-successive League Cup success.

City instantly found their rhythm, their fluid forward line creating space to exploit, and Burnley had an early scare when the offside Sterling turned a Torres cross behind when he should have found the net.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It wouldn't have counted, but was reminiscent of his miss here in 2018, and in summer against Lyon .

Moments later, Rodri pulled his drive wide after being teed up by De Bruyne.

Sterling was involved again as he somehow got a shot away despite the attention of five Burnley defenders, but it was a comfortable stop for Peacock-Farrell.

Burnley made a rare foray forward from a free kick from Ashley Westwood, Tarkowski screened the ball for Charlie Taylor, who was brought down by Fernandinho, and, as per the Clarets' fortunes in that respect, Andrew Madley gave nothing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It looked a stonewaller, and Dyche made his feelings known on the sidelines.

City broke through De Bruyne, sending Sterling clear, but Peacock-Farrell did well to save.

Burnley came close moments later as Vydra shaped an effort just beyond the far post from just outside the area.

De Bruyne continued to dictate, and he showed typical vision to pick out Torres, who lifted his effort over.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And if it's not De Bruyne pulling the strings it's Mahrez, and from his clever pass, Peacock-Farrell did well to save from Palmer.

You wondered how long Burnley could hold out, and 10 minutes before the break, the ball was slipped inside Dwight McNeil by Laporte for Mendy, whose low centre was hammered in left-footed into the bottom left by Sterling.

Madley again ignored penalty appeals as Walker dived in on McNeil on the corner of the box and bundled over the wideman.

It probably would have been soft, but added to the frustration.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Peacock-Farrell then dived to his left to punch clear a curler from Sterling, before Torres slid in and hit the outside of the post from an inswinging cross.

Right on half-time, Westwood's volley attempting to spread play hit McNeil and fell for De Bruyne to feed Sterling, but he fired into the side netting.

Wood replaced Vydra for the start of the second half, but Burnley were soon right up against it as Westwood was dispossessed in midfield, allowing De Bruyne to find Torres, and from his centre, Sterling had time to pick his spot.

It could have been 3-0 as Tarkowski blotted an otherwise impressive return as he gave the ball away to De Bruyne, and from his pass, Palmer did well to pull the ball across goal, and Eril Pieters blocked Torres' effort.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Barnes controlled well and volleyed over at the other end, before De Bruyne was replaced by Bernardo Silva.

But it was all over when Mahrez tried to feed Sterling, and the ball ended up with Torres, who confidently found the corner for his first goal for City.

Taylor Harwood-Bellis came on for Walker as Guardiola introduced another young star, while Josh Benson got the last quarter as Barnes was allowed a rest after his first start in almost nine months.

Peacock-Farrell denied Sterling his hat trick goal from a quite brilliant Mahrez throughball, staying big to make another big save, and Westwood then came to the rescue to clear off the line as Palmer looked to tee up the England man.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Burnley's night didn't get any better as they suffered yet another injury, as Matt Lowton was hurt by a lunge from Sterling.

They might have pulled one back as McNeil got up well to head at goal from Taylor's cross, after the left back cruised past Harwood-Bellis, but Zack Steffen saved well.

And that was that, as City eased into the quarter-finals.

Burnley: Peacock-Farrell; Lowton, Long, Tarkowski, Taylor; McNeil, Brownhill, Westwood, Pieters; Barnes (Benson 68), Vydra (Wood 46).

Subs: Norris, Bardsley, Dunne, Glennon, Goodridge.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.