Burnley 3, Cardiff City 1

Fresh from scoring a 94th minute winner for the Clarets against Crystal Palace, Ashley Barnes continued his goal-scoring habit for the club's Development Squad.

Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 2:37 pm
Updated Friday, 18th November 2016, 12:21 pm
Ashley Barnes celebrates scoring the third with Patrick Bamford

The striker netted a brace in the Premier League Cup as Michael Jolley's side picked up their first win in Group B, beating Cardiff City 3-1 at Turf Moor.

After losing to rivals Blackburn Rovers in the competition's opener at Ewood Park, the Clarets responded well to get off the mark.

Jolley named a strong squad for the tie with first team squad players Tendayi Darikwa, Kevin Long, Ashley Barnes and Patrick Bamford all named in the XI, alongside Aiden O'Neill.

Ashley Barnes celebrates scoring the third with Patrick Bamford

However, it was the visitors who almost took an early lead courtesy of Macauley Southam's cleverly improvised flick from Tommy O'Sullivan's cross but goalkeeper Nick Pope reacted well to turn the ball around his near post.

Burnley took the lead in the 19th minute when Brad Jackson's persistence paid off on the byline as he stole possession from Bluebird's skipper Tom James to pick out Bamford and the Chelsea loanee made no mistake from close range.

The home side then doubled the advantage before the half-an-hour mark when Barnes leaped above his marker to meet Jackson's corner and guide a header past Luke O'Reilly.

City did grow in to the game as it progressed; Pope saving well once again to beat away Eli Phipps' effort after the striker broke in to the box while defender Ash Baker headed over from O'Sullivan's corner.

Ashley Barnes celebrates scoring the third with Patrick Bamford

The visitors did, however, get back in to the fixture before the interval as Southam flicked O'Sullivan's inswinging set-piece beyond Pope to make it 2-1.

O'Sullivan was proving an economical outlet for City and moments later his pinpoint delivery was steered in to the gloves of Pope by the head of Baker in the closing stages of the half.

Burnley restored their two-goal cushion before the hour and it was that man Barnes yet again. The striker was level with the final defender when Long headed Jackson's corner goalwards and he beat O'Reilly with a beautiful volley on the turn.

The former Brighton and Hove Albion forward almost secured his hat-trick soon after when standing over the ball once Jackson was felled on the edge of the penalty area. However, his resulting free-kick was just too high.

The Clarets now face Sunderland in their next group game next month.