Teen bike thief knocked down

A teen thief who stole a cyclist’s £1,000 bike from outside a corner shop was knocked off it two minutes later, when a driver was said to have “deliberately” mounted the kerb and hit him, a court heard.

Saturday, 17th October 2015, 3:59 pm
Burnley Magistrates Court.

Callum Duffy (19) had helped himself to the cycle for a “joyride” after the owner had “popped into” the store in Burnley.

The victim was very upset by the loss of his bike, which has never been recovered, the town’s magistrates were told during the hearing.

Duffy, who had no previous convictions, but struck a month after a caution, admitted theft, on September 25th.

Sign up to our daily Burnley Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The defendant, of Ennismore Street, Burnley, was sent to an attendance centre for 24 hours and must pay £250 compensation and a £180 criminal courts charge.

Prosecutor Alex Mann said after Duffy was arrested, he told police he had tried to get the bike back.

Mark Williams (prosecuting) said the theft was “a spontaneous act” on the defendant’s part.

He had got on the bike to go for a joyride. The cycle was not recovered.

The solicitor continued: “He has done what he can to find out where it went, but he has not been successful in doing so.”

Mr Williams told the court: “Within two minutes of taking the bike, he was knocked down by a car which deliberately mounted the kerb.”

The solicitor said police were contacted by an independent witness who had gone to tend to Duffy and who took him into her home.

Officers attended, spoke to the vehicle driver and the defendant ended up being arrested for assault and being taken to the police station. The witness told police Duffy had not assaulted the driver and that he had been knocked off the bike.

The solicitor continued :” Whilst the defendant was in police custody, the bike disappeared. Clearly, he didn’t get rid of the bike, but he took it in the first place.

The bike had long gone when he was finally dealt with by police.”