Booths quick and easy bread recipe
At the height of lockdown, it seemed that everyone was busy making their own sourdough bread, with pictures of people’s frothily bubbling ‘starters’ all over social media.
Quick "Sourdough Style" loaf
Prep time: 24 hour l Cooks: 30 minutes
100g plain flour
1 tsp dried yeast
For the dough
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast
1. Mix all the loaf starter ingredients together and leave for 24 hours in the fridge.
2. For the dough, add the water to a mixer bowl followed by the loaf starter, then add the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
3. Mix on the lowest speed for three minutes then place your dough in a dusted round loaf basket to prove. Cover with cling film and rest for three hours.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 230°C and place a baking tray in the middle of the oven to get hot and a small bowl in the bottom of the oven.
5. Turn the dough out onto parchment and carefully score the top of the dough with sharp knife.
6. Carefully place the dough onto the hot oven tray.
7. Add a ladle of water to the bowl in the bottom of the oven and close the door (this will produce steam to help give the bread the perfect crust).
8. Bake for 5 minutes with the steam, then carefully open the oven door to vent and allow steam to escape. Then close the door and bake for a further 25 minutes, rotate as necessary to ensure even colouring.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing.
Chef's tip: Try exchanging 50g strong bread flour for 50g rye flour to give a nice subtle change in flavour.