MP demands justice for Pendle family murdered in Pakistan

Pendle MP Andrew Stephenson has called for a House of Commons debate on the murders of three constituents who were shot and killed in Pakistan in May, 2010 while praying at the graves of relatives.
Tania Yousaf. Photo: Pendle Borough Council/PA WireTania Yousaf. Photo: Pendle Borough Council/PA Wire
Tania Yousaf. Photo: Pendle Borough Council/PA Wire

The killers of taxi driver Mohammed Yousaf (51), his wife Pervez (49) and daughter and mother-of-two Tania (22), of Howgill Close, Nelson, have never been found – and Mr Stephenson called for the debate and for further pressure to be put on authorities in Pakistan.

Leader of the House of Commons William Hague responded: “These murders were a terrible tragedy and the thoughts of the House will be with the family whose grief over the past five years can only have been exacerbated by the fact that they have not had justice.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I understand that a trial is going on following the arrest of two suspects who are now on bail while three other suspects have been declared as absconding.

Mohammed Yousaf. Photo: PA WireMohammed Yousaf. Photo: PA Wire
Mohammed Yousaf. Photo: PA Wire

“I will ensure that consular officials follow up with the family and that high commission staff in Islamabad again press the Pakistani authorities to ensure that progress is made as quickly as possible, making clear the strong interest of the British Government in this case.”

Mr Stephenson first raised the matter in the House of Commons in October, 2010, when it was positively received by MPs.

There was speculation at the time that the Pakistan police were using delaying tactics to slow down the case.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In 2010, Mr Stephenson told MPs how Tania was forced to beg for her life before being shot more than 100 times – all the while her husband was forced to listen to on a mobile phone.

Pervaze Yousaf. Photo: PA WirePervaze Yousaf. Photo: PA Wire
Pervaze Yousaf. Photo: PA Wire

Back then, Mr Stephenson said: “After dragging Tania from the car, they made her call her husband for help, but before Tania could explain what was happening she was killed with him still listening on the line.

“I can for the first time reveal that at Tania’s post mortem, more than 100 bullets were recovered from her body.”

The three family members had been praying at the graves of relatives following their son’s wedding when an armed gang set on them with automatic Kalashnikov rifles.