Man jailed for Bacup stabbing

A pub landlord has been sent to prison for 13 and a half years after he was found guilty of stabbing a man in the chest during a street disturbance in Bacup.

Jonathan Wrigley, 34, of the Wellington Hotel, Todmorden Road, Bacup, was convicted of Section 18 wounding following a trial at Preston Crown Court.

He was found not guilty of attempted murder but convicted unanimously of the wounding charge and of perverting the court of justice.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He was given 12 years for the wounding and 1 year six months consecutive for the perverting the course of justice offence.

A second man, Curtis Munro, 21, of Queen’s Road, Heywood had earlier admitted a charge of perverting the course of justice and was jailed for 16 months.

Police were called in the early hours of Saturday 22nd November last year to reports of a fight between two groups on Yorkshire Street in Bacup town centre. During the disturbance Jamie Mulcahy received a stab wound to the chest, resulting in both lungs being punctured.

Wrigley was arrested on November 25th Jamie Mulcahy, 26, remains in a serious condition in hospital and requires round the clock care and is unlikely ever to make a full recovery.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Detective Inspector Pete Danby, who led the investigation, said: “Jonathan Wrigley is clearly a violent and controlling individual whose actions have destroyed the lives of both a young man and his family.

“This was a protracted and difficult enquiry and I would like to thank the members of the jury for giving the case their full consideration.

“I’d also like to thank the many witnesses who had the courage to come forward and Jamie’s family for conducting themselves with dignity throughout these proceedings.

Our thoughts remain with them.”

Mr Mulcahy’s family thanked all those involved in the investigation from PC Dave Greenwood who attended the scene and provided first aid, the family liaison officers Julie Fort and Lisa Moore, and all involved in the investigation which led to the conviction and sentence. They also thanked the medical staff who continue to care for Jamie.