Jail for Brierfield men who moved £57,000 stolen BMW

Two men said to have been paid to move a stolen £57,000 BMW have been locked up.

Takeaway worker Mohammed Amjad (22) and Sheraz Afzal (25) claimed they had been given £50 to collect the vehicle and had been provided with stolen number plates to avoid detection.

Police found the defendants, who both had gloves, with the car four days after it was taken in a house raid in Manchester, Burnley Crown Court was told.

After their arrest, the pair were bailed. Afzal was banned from Burnley when a man named Shahid Ansar, who knew the defendant, pulled into a petrol station in town in the early hours and saw him.

Words were exchanged, Mr Ansar decided to leave and Afzal followed. The defendant then rammed Mr Ansar’s car twice, set off in pursuit of him at high speed, rammed it again, instigated a collision and ended up being chased by the police, although he got away.

Afzal, who had earlier passed an extended retest ordered by a court, later rang the police and alleged Mr Ansar had rammed him and approached him with a baseball bat.

Afzal, of Mansfield Crescent, and Amjad, of Halifax Road, both Brierfield, had admitted handling stolen goods last April. Afzal also admitted dangerous driving and having no insurance last September and was sent to prison for two years. He was banned for three years and must take an extended retest. Amjad received an eight-month custodial term.

Jonathan Clarke (prosecuting) said Mr Ansar was shocked when Afzal rammed his car from behind as he drove off the garage. Afzal then reversed to get a “run up” and rammed the victim’s car again.

Mr Ansar drove off with Afzal in pursuit, trying to get away from him. He had to drive at high speed and overtake cars and, as he got to a roundabout, Afzal pulled alongside and rammed him again.

Mr Clarke said the defendant was then pursued by a marked police vehicle, did not stop and got away. Twelve hours later, he rang the police and blamed the victim for the incident.

Robert Golinski, for Amjad, said for the past six to seven months, he had tried to remain free of drugs and alcohol and had devoted himself to work. The barrister added: “Since this offence, he has done what he can to turn his life around.”

For Afzal, Laura Barbour said he knew he should expect a prison sentence. The defendant wanted to go to university to study information technology. Miss Barbour added: “He recognises the consequences of his behaviour could have been dire.”