Gas leak in Blackburn town centre leads to evacuations and road closures

Part of Blackburn town centre has been cordoned off after a gas leak
Lancashire Fire and Rescue ServiceLancashire Fire and Rescue Service
Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service

At 10:49am today (Saturday), two fire engines from Blackburn attended an incident on Richmond Terrace.

The fire involved an electrical cable under the pavement which was extinguished by fire service personnel.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A small number of homes around the area were evacuated initially while Cadent Gas investigated.

The danger area has now been extended.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Cadent Gas have confirmed there is a mains gas leak which has been temporarily repaired whilst Electricity North West repair the electrical cables.

"The cordon around the incident has been extended by 100m whilst repairs take place."

Related topics: