Former Burnley Football Club chairman Frank Teasdale dies

Former Burnley Football Club chairman Frank Teasdale has died.

Monday, 1st February 2016, 2:10 pm
Updated Monday, 1st February 2016, 2:14 pm
BURNLEY Chairman Frank Teasdale with his new management team, Stan Ternent and Sam Ellis. 020698/7/A13a

Mr Teasdale, who was in his 80s, held the role at the club from 1985 until relinquishing the role to Barry Kilby in late 1998.

Mr Teasdale, who lived in Clayton-le-Moors, oversaw the highs and lows of football life during his tenure, which included the historic “Orient game” and the arrival to Turf Moor of managers Chris Waddle and Stan Ternent.

He was at the helm during Burnley’s darkest times in the bleak mid-to-late 1980s, although this culminated in the Clarets’ memorable defeat of Orient at Turf Moor on the final day of the 1986/87 season ensuring the club retained their Football League status.

Mr Teasdale initially joined the Board of Directors early in 1985, and was appointed chairman just four months later, replacing John Jackson.

There was, at that time, a constant battle to juggle finances to keep the club in business, and within a year he had called an extraordinary general meeting to emphasise the desperate cash plight facing the club.

Mr Teasdale was behind a shares issue that aimed to raise the capital from £8,000 to £50,000; then cited as the only option for the club to avoid liquidation.

In 1987, that came even closer to reality, but within a year Teasdale was at the helm as Burnley ran out at Wembley in front of 80,000 supporters at the Sherpa Van Trophy Final against fellow Fourth Division side Wolves.

Burnley’s fortunes were changing and following the appointment of Jimmy Mullen in 1991, Teasdale and the Clarets would enjoy two promotions in three years under his stewardship, in 1992 and 1994.

Fittingly, the last of his eight managerial appointments also provided a catalyst for better days, as Stan Ternent, brought to the club in the summer of 1998, would guide the Clarets into the Championship two years later.

By then, Mr Teasdale had left the Board of Directors, bur he continued his affiliation with the club and was still a regular face in the Directors’ Box at Turf Moor until his death.

A club spokesman said: “Everyone at Burnley Football Club would like to express our deep sympathy to all Mr Teasdale’s friends.”