Drink-driver left biker injured in road

A drunk driver smashed into a motorcyclist and made off as the rider lay injured in the road.

Burnley Magistrates Court.
Burnley Magistrates Court.

But Carl Jane (31) was caught after leaving his number plate at the crash scene, a court heard.

The plumber, who was almost three times the legal limit, was arrested after police turned up at his home in Red Lees Road, Burnley, and had to force their way in. His badly damaged Toyota Aygo was parked outside minus its bumper and officers found it in his front room.

The town’s magistrates were told how motorcyclist Max Endicott (34) suffered a broken wrist in the late-night collision in Burnley Road, Cliviger, on October 16th. Passers-by had alerted the police as Jane drove off.

The defendant, who has never been in trouble before, admitted driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop after an accident. He was given a four-month curfew, between 7pm and 5-30am, seven days a week, was banned for 25 months and was ordered to pay £85 costs, a £150 criminal courts charge and a £60 victim surcharge.

Prosecutor Miss Tracy Yates said police arrived at the scene about 11pm and found a motorcycle and rider lying in the road.

A Toyota Aygo had been seen to leave the area, heading towards Todmorden, with significant front end damage. Part of its number plate was in the road and the rest of the plate was found among the debris.

Miss Yates said the full registration number matched an Aygo, the only person named on the insurance was Jane and police went to his home.

The prosecutor continued: “The vehicle was found parked in the street, directly outside and had significant front end damage. The windscreen was smashed and bulging inwards.


Hide Ad

“An officer looked through the window into the front room. The curtains were open and the light was on and he saw a bumper in the front room. The bumper was missing from the Toyota parked at the front of the house.”

Miss Yates said police knocked on the door, but got no reply. A neighbour confirmed the house occupant had recently returned home. Further patrols were called, they still got no response even though they shouted several times through the door and it was forced open. The defendant was unsteady on his feet, his eyes were glazed and he was clearly drunk.

The prosecutor said Jane was arrested and asked if he had had anything to drink since returning home. He replied he had not and had gone straight to bed. The key to the Toyota was found in his trouser pocket. The defendant was taken to the police station and gave a sample showing 102 micrograms of alcohol in 100ml of breath – the legal limit is 35.

Miss Yates said the defendant was interviewed and made no comment. He had no previous convictions.


Hide Ad

Asked by the bench if he would lose his job, Jane said he had come to an agreement with work and “they are sorting something out.”

The defendant, who was not represented by a solicitor, was given the chance to address the justices and replied: “There is nothing else I can say.”