Drunken man headbutted police officer

A drunken man headbutted a police officer as he was being arrested after early hours trouble, a court heard.

Thursday, 29th March 2018, 4:23 pm
Updated Thursday, 29th March 2018, 4:26 pm
Burnley Magistrates' Court

Burnley magistrates were told how binge drinker Shaun Anthony Waring (29) who has lost his mum, struck on Mother's Day. He was subject to a suspended jail term at the time.

Mr Andrew Robinson, prosecuting, said police were called to a disturbance at 3-30am. The defendant was upset and officers tried to calm him down. He appeared to be drunk and possibly under the influence of drugs.

Mr Robinson continued: "When he got out into the street, his demeanour worsened. He was shouting and swearing at the top of his voice, making threats to kill people, threats of violence towards the officers."

The prosecutor said when police tried to arrest Waring, he was shouting and swearing, told them to get off and claimed he had two broken arms. He was extremely aggressive, butted an officer, kicked out and spat, had to be physically carried for 20 metres to the back of the van, turned round and spat and lashes out at officers and had to be PAVA sprayed.

The court was told in May 2016, Waring got 12 months in custody, suspended for two years, for affray. He has a record for being drunk and disorderly and resisting police.

Mr David Lawson, defending Waring, a dad-of-one, said: "He realises that drink has played a massive part in his offending behaviour. It's something he is taking steps to address."

The solicitor went on: "He suffers from severe anxiety and depression. He accepts it is not helped by binge drinking at times. He says it was the first time he had drunk for a significant period of time."

Mr Lawson said the defendant suffered very serious injuries a few years ago when both his arms were broken. The solicitor said: "He was concerned the police were going to put his hands behind his back, which would have caused immense pain. There wasn't any intention to headbutt the officer."

The defendant, of Valley Close, Nelson, admitted being drunk and disorderly in Hart Street, Burnley, and resisting police, on March 11th. He was committed on bail to Burnley Crown Court, to be sentenced on May 14th.

The Bench chairman said Waring's actions had been repeated behaviour. She told him: "Despite the good work we understand you are doing with the probation service, there is still an issue about your behaviour that needs to be looked at."