Child hit in eye with firework in horror accident
The boy was injured after a firework fell over and shot into the crowd at an organised display held at the Railway Club in Rosegrove, Burnley.
The accident was being looked into by Burnley CID who have said that no fireworks were thrown and they are not suspecting neglect or a deliberate act.
It is believed the Trading Standards authority will be involved in the investigation into the accident along with the Health and Safety Executive.
The accident happened at around 7-45pm as dozens of families gathered to watch a display in celebration of Bonfire Night. The victim was stood behind a safety barrier with his family when he was hit by the firework, causing burns to his face and eye.
He was rushed to Blackburn Royal Infirmary and treated for burns which are thought to be superficial but the damage to his eye is not yet known.
He was later transferred to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital where surgeons operated to clear debris from his eye. He was due to see an eye specialist yesterday while his anxious family keep a bedside vigil.
The boy’s family have received dozens of messages of support through social media and the victim’s mum has kept people informed of his progress.
She said: “His face is quite swollen and blistered and he has been in a lot of pain. We went to the emergency eye clinic but they could not look in his eye properly as it is so swollen.“They said he could see light but not any shapes or detail as it is so badly burned but it is too early to say whether he will be able to see again.
“We are so grateful for all the love and support we are getting so thank you so much everyone.”
A spokesman at the Railway Club declined to comment when contacted by the Burnley Express.