Burnley woman jailed for making false rape claim

A 20-YEAR-OLD Burnley woman has been jailed for falsely accusing her former boyfriend of rape.

Keeley Horrocks, of Grant Street, admitted perverting the course of justice at Bolton Crown Court and was sentenced to two years in prison.

The court heard that at 5-15 p.m. on January 3rd last year, Horrocks called police to report she had been raped in Rochdale.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Officers attended and took an initial account from Horrocks. Later that evening she had a full medical examination at a referral centre. Over the next few days, Horrocks was video interviewed by trained officers, and gave a lengthy and detailed account of her ordeal – all of which proved false.

The 59-year-old man she accused lived in Rochdale, and officers from Greater Manchester Police arrested him. His house was searched and he was subjected to a medical examination. He was then interviewed and vehemently denied any wrongdoing, explaining the pair had been in a consensual sexual relationship for nine months. He spent almost 20 hours in police custody.

Evidence was reviewed and it emerged the report of rape had been made shortly after the “suspect” sent a text message to Horrock’s ex-boyfriend, with whom she was trying to rekindle her relationship.

In a statement, the victim said: “This whole affair has changed my life. I am still traumatised.

“As a single father, I could have lost my daughter. The first four or five months were the most difficult.

“When this happened I was put through a humiliating and traumatic ordeal and am still suffering from the indignity of that experience now.

“She has shown no remorse toward me, but has had plenty of opportunities to admit to what she has done. Sorry would have gone a long way.”

Det. Con. Chris Whalley said: “Horrocks embarked on a path of deceit and told a series of malicious lies to the police and other parties involved in the investigation to try tosave her own relationship with the man she was trying to get back with.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“It was not only an utterly selfish thing to do, it was also criminal. Her actions meant a totally innocent man was forced into the best part of a 20-hour custody ordeal and his house was searched. This made a mockery of the experiences suffered by genuine victims.

“In investigating this false claim countless hours were wasted not only police by officers and trained Nightingale Officers, but also medical professionals, counsellors and others. Not forgetting the months of stress and anxiety suffered by the man who was falsely accused.”

Mrs Ann Metcalfe, Keeley Horrocks’ mother, told the Express she is seeking legal advice with a view to making an appeal.