Tributes to popular Ribble Valley charity stalwart and 'legend with a heart of gold'

The heartbroken family of David Mark Wayne Redhead, affectionately known as Billy Readhead, have paid tribute to the 63-year-old describing him as "one in a million".
Billy RedheadBilly Redhead
Billy Redhead

Billy, of Chatburn, died on Saturday with his son, Barry, and family beside him after a battle with cancer.

Born in Bramley Mead, Whalley, he attended St Michael and St John’s School, Clitheroe and then went onto St Augustine's High School in Billington.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

When Billy was younger he was a fitter’s mate, working for Horrocksford of Clitheroe. He went on to be a roadie, working for some top acts. According to his family, a favourite saying of his when on the road was “one road leads to another”.

Billy suffered head injuries in an accident in 1999, however, he continued working after the accident once he had recovered, despite being told his injuries were life changing, Billy was determined to get better which he did, but then due to his health in later years he stopped working, however, that never stopped him from helping others where he could. Billy spent many days carrying out voluntary work for the Salvation Army charity shop in Clitheroe, and he spent much of his time with Phil and Bev at Keystreet in Clitheroe, having been their right hand man for over 20 years, he would still call in on them weekly.

Paying tribute to the much-loved grandfather to Dylan-James, also a stepfather and stepgrandfather, his family said: "He was one in a million with a heart of gold. An absolute legend. He was a well-respected roadie, such a character and very well remembered by many musicians today and made each gig memorable with his character and his ways. Billy spent much of his time walking to Clitheroe from Chatburn to spend his days in Clitheroe. He enjoyed going to Preston weekly where he was also very well known. He loved shopping, and especially adding to his massive ornamental skull collection! Billy loved looking after people, spending time with many, and chatting as he was a very sociable character. He also enjoyed spending time with his son and partner Vicki's three dogs, and especially taking them for sneaky walks when he was told not to! He was one of a kind and will be sorely missed by anyone who had the pleasure to know him."

A funeral service will be held at Chatburn Church at 3pm on Friday (May 8th). The family will leave home from Woone Lane Clitheroe, at 2-40pm approximately and will be driving down Woone Lane into Clitheroe town centre, along Lowergate past the Salvation Army where he spent much of his days, and also past Keystreet and then up and along Chatburn Road to his resting place in Chatburn.

Related topics: