This is how to make your own fast food favourites, including KFC, McDonald's, Nando's and Greggs
and live on Freeview channel 276
So whether it's a McDonald's breakfast or a cheeky Nando's that you are missing most, the good news is we've got the recipes to many of your favourites that you can try at home right now.
Here are a selection to have a go at:
- Pizza Express dough balls
Pizza Express released the incredibly easy to make recipe for their popular dough balls at the start of April.
Ingredients for the dough balls (makes 2 portions):
• 150ml warm water – roughly 27 degrees
• 1 teaspoon of sugar
• 15g fresh yeast (or 2 level teaspoons of dry yeast)
• 225g of plain flour (plus extra for working)
• 1.5 teaspoons of salt
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. First up, preheat the oven to 230°C / 210°C fan assisted
2. Add the sugar and crumble the fresh yeast into the warm water. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 – 15 minutes in a warm place until froth develops on the surface
3. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour the yeast mixture in
4. Lightly flour your hands and slowly mix the ingredients together until they bind
5. Generously dust your surface with flour, throw down the dough and begin kneading for 10 minutes until smooth, silky and soft. Leave dough to rest until soft to the touch but not too springy
6. Roll dough into a 1.2m long tube. Chop into 16 chunks and place in an oven proof pan. Leave the Dough Balls to rest in the pan for 30 mins
7. Make sure the oven has reached temperature and bake for 6 minutes until golden
Ingredients or the garlic butter:
• 10ml extra virgin olive oil
• 4 teaspoons of butter
• 0.5 teaspoons of chopped garlic
1. Blend olive oil and chopped garlic into a paste. Pour over butter and blend with a spoon
::Read the original article on foodanddrink.scotsman.com
- Nando’s peri-peri rice bowl recipe
Nando's released the recipe, which is not part of the usual menu, last month. Here's how to make it:
For the rice bowl
• 2 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp vegetable oil mixed together
• 1 courgette, grated
• 1 carrot, grated
• 80g spinach
• 1 cup (about 128g) long grain rice
• 150g cooked shredded chicken
• 2 large eggs
• 2 tbsps vinegar
For the dressing
• 50ml PERi-PERi sauce
• 10ml soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sesame seeds
• 1 tbsp brown sugar
• Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
• In a frying pan, add the mixed oil and all of the vegetables, and cook until they soften.
• Heat a saucepan of water as the vegetables cook.
• Once boiled, add vinegar to the bubbling water, then quickly whisk and crack an egg into the saucepan.
• Wait three minutes and remove the egg carefully, placing it on a paper towel to dry.
• In a separate frying pan, add the PERi-PERi sauce, soy sauce, the sesame seeds and the brown sugar.
• Wait for the sugar to dissolve before adding the chicken.
• Once the chicken is cooked, put the rice into a bowl, then add the vegetables and chicken, before placing the poached egg on top.
::Read the original article on foodanddrink.scotsman.com
- Wagamama's chicken katsu curry
As part of their 'Wok From Home' video series, Wagamama shared this recipe for their famous chicken katsu curry, you can find many more food favourites from the popular Asian restaurant chain on Youtube.
Here's how to make it:
Ingredients for the sauce: (serves two)
• 2–3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 finely chopped onion
• 1 crushed garlic clove
• 2.5cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 2 heaped tablespoons mild curry powder
• 1 tablespoon plain flour
• 300ml chicken or veg stock
• 100ml coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
Ingredients for the dish (serves two)
• 120g rice
• 1 quantity katsu curry sauce
• 2 skinless chicken breasts
• 50g plain flour
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 100g panko breadcrumbs
• 75ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying
• 40g mixed salad leaves
You can watch the method here
- McDonald's sausage egg McMuffin
Morning's just haven't been the same since lockdown began, but don't worry, you can make your own McDonald's breakfast - here's how:
• English muffin
• 75g sausage meat
• Two eggs
• Slice of American cheese
• Season the sausage meat with salt and pepper shaping into two balls before flattening into patties.
• Cook under the grill for 6-7 minutes on each side.
• Place the patties and egg on top of the cheese slice and sandwich them between the muffin halves.
Find out how to recreate more of your favourite McDonald’s meals at home here
- Greggs steak bake
Greggs has been shareing recipes for its most famous pastries - including its iconic steak bake. This is how to make it:
Ingredients to make the steak bake:
• Finely diced beef
• Beef stock
• Cornflour mixed with water
• Puff pastry
• One egg
Method for the filling mix:
1. Sizzle the beef in a frying pan until browned.
2. Pour the beef stock into the pan before adding the cornflour mix.
3. Allow the mix to thicken to your tastes and leave to cool.
Method for the pastry:
1. Cut two pieces of pastry into squares measuring 180mm x 94 mm.
2. Egg wash the edges.
Method for the steak bake:
1. Spoon your filling onto one of the sheets of pastry.
2. Place the other sheet on top - fork the edges of the sheets to lock them in place.
3. Score the top with 6 lines.
4. Place the uncooked pastry into the oven at 200C, cook until golden brown and piping hot.
Read the original article here
- KFC-like chicken
One KFC fan has shared a recipe, which took 18 months to develop, so that we can make KFC-like chicken at home. Here's how to make it?
• 5 cups of flour (three parts plain flour to one part self-raising flour)
• 1/2 tbsp oregano and thyme
• 1 tbsp ground ginger
• 2 tbsp garlic powder
• 1 tbsp mustard powder (can grind up mustard seeds)
• 1 tbsp celery salt
• 1 tbsp black pepper
• 1/3 tbsp sea salt
• 2 tbsp white pepper
• 4 tbsp paprika
• 1/3 tbsp basil
• Egg whites (for egg wash)
• Milk (for egg wash)
1. Preheated the oven to 80C.
2. Add the spices to the flour and mix well.
3. Make sure the chicken is at room temperature before seasoning it in the flour and spice mix.
4. After coating the chicken in seasoning, brush it with the egg white and milk wash before popping it back in the seasoning.
5. Fry the chicken for five to six minutes at 160C before putting it in the preheated oven to keep warm.
6. Fry for 90 seconds before serving.
Read the full original article here