Heartbroken daughter disappointed as cause of Lancashire couple's death in Thomas Cook Egypt hotel remains mystery

The daughter of a Lancashire couple who died during a holiday in Egypt has said she is disappointed and disheartened that the reason why remains unknown.

Thursday, 6th September 2018, 9:16 am
Updated Thursday, 6th September 2018, 10:21 am
Heartbroken daughter disappointed as cause of Lancashire couple's death in Thomas Cook Egypt hotel remains mystery

Kelly Ormerod said she had hoped her parents John and Susan Cooper's bodies would be released by now, adding that more than two weeks later she is still waiting for answers as to why they died.

Read More

Read More
E-coli identified at Egypt hotel where Burnley couple died

Tests commissioned by the firm on the food and hygiene standards at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada identified a high level of e.coli and staphylococcus bacteria.

Mrs Ormerod, who had been on a break with the pair, from Burnley, Lancashire, has since questioned the Egyptian authorities' investigation efforts, saying the hotel room was not taped off until 24 hours after the deaths.

"All the floors had been mopped, all the bedding had been changed and for those 24 hours maintenance were in and out quite often.

She said she feared there could have been "crucial" evidence in the room which would now be lost.

"There was obviously evidence left over from my Mum and Dad in that room which I think was quite crucial as to why they possibly died," she said.

Mrs Ormerod said she now felt "disappointed" and "disheartened", adding: "I thought I'd have the results today and that Mum and Dad could come home."

She added: "Once they're home, I can start the next fight as to what the actual answers are."