Pendle Forest get back on track with win over Lytham

Pendle Forest got back to winning ways on Saturday, beating Lytham 3-2.

Forest started off with passion and precision, seeing an opposition player green carded for several infringements.

Lytham were relying on breakaways, and their first goal came from a penalty corner which took a defensive deflection.

Forest reacted immediately and were awarded a penalty corner which Cathy Waters converted to make it 1-1.


Hide Ad

The game burst into life and there were more breakaways from Lytham, snuffed out by strong defensive work from Jan Cormack and keeper Jane Kirkpatrick.

Lytham finally found a way through and went ahead again 2-1, but Forest fought back and through good work from Natalie Mitchell and Rachel Bradley.

Forest earned another penalty corner, and some excellent injecting by Olivia Purtil saw Waters then hit the post, but Sam Parker took the rebound cleanly to make it 2-2.

From the push back, Lytham lost possession, allowing Deb Bythell to fire the ball across to Karen Wignall, who slotted Forest’s third goal in to win 3-2.


Hide Ad

Forest are away at Kirkby Lonsdale tomorrow.

Forest’s thirds went down 3-2 at Lancaster after an early push start in gale force winds in the quarter-finals of the Lishman Plate.

Forest gave away a penalty corner in the first five minutes, which Lancaster converted for the opening goal.

Without their manager on the sidelines, Forest lacked discipline and composure, and with Lancaster bringing in several new players for the clash, Forest looked second best.


Hide Ad

There were moments of class from Forest, mostly from player of the match Rosie Southworth at the centre of defence, who put in an outstanding personal performance. It took inspirational play from Southworth to lift the Forest spirits, and she played a long ball down the centre to Emma Ziegloser, who carried it into the D and struck home to put Forest level.

In the second half, Forest still looked lacklustre and within 20 minutes found themselves 3-1 down.

Forest began to play their best hockey in the last 15 minutes and again Southworth was in the mix. She belted a ball forward to striker Claire Birkett, who controlled well and held the ball up to then push it through the defender’s legs for Cath Hutchinson to slot home at the right post.

Birkett hitting the post and shortly after Ziegloser had only the keeper to beat but sadly her shot went just wide.