Superb display from Burnley Rugby Club

ACTION: Burnley skipper Nino Angelone (3), Dom Leck and Steve Kent shut out a Barrow attack (s)
ACTION: Burnley skipper Nino Angelone (3), Dom Leck and Steve Kent shut out a Barrow attack (s)

Burnley travelled to Barrow on Saturday and produced a scintillating display of open running rugby.

This was Burnley’s third bonus point win on the trot and the second away from home in as many weeks.

As the grounds improve, all the hard work on the training ground is beginning to show.

An early arrival and thorough warm up meant Burnley came roaring out of the starting blocks, scoring three tries in the opening 10 minutes, all of which began deep in their own half and involved great support play at pace as captain Nino Angelone, Danny Campbell and Theo Coleman scored, two of which Dom Leck converted.

Burnley should have had more, but for some great last-ditch tackling by the Barrow full back.

Burnley led 19-0 at the break.

The home team rallied early in the second half, but Burnleys defence was impressive as they flung themselves at the larger home team.

Burnley’s quick tempo passing game then bore more fruit as Ollie Lord and Danny Campbell got a try apiece, with one converted by Leck.

Only in the last quarter did the home side rally and get a couple of consolation scores, one of which was converted, for a final score of 31-12.

Tomorrow Burnley travel to Tarleton looking to get into the top four.

Burnley seconds beat Rochdale 33-24 in an entertaining game at Holden Road with tries from Robert Quinn, Billy Lancaster (2), Ryan Bradley, Gus Ferguson and four Ferguson conversions

Burnley thirds lost 41-0 away to a strong Bolton side.

The only junior match at the weekend was a local derby between the Burnley under 14s and Clitheroe, which the locals won 49-12.

A week off from matches and the extra training paid off, with Burnley dominating the first few minutes of the game.

With Clitheroe in the Burnley half driving forward, the ball was turned over and passed out to Sam Boult, who produced a blistering run through the back line to run the ball under the posts for a try, converted by the boot of Matthew Fordley.

Clitheroe came back straight away with a try and conversion, but Burnley, not to be outdone, replied with another try from Boult easily converted by Fordley. Clitheroe’s response was a series of drives by their forwards to secure their second try.

A long passage of play had Burnley driven back into their own half, with constant infringements.

Burnley, though, picked up again and after a turnover, a darting run by Jake Foster led to a try under the sticks, Fordley with his third conversion.

The passage of play again went both ways, with the pack picking and driving to get Gareth Gregory over the line for his first-ever try.

Clitheroe seemed to buckle, allowing Burnley to gather at the restart, and after a few phases of play Fordley ran in his first try of the day.

In the second half, Burnley used the forwards to wear down Clitheroe’s defence, and Austin Ralph broke for the line, with his momentum taking him over for a try.

With the forwards dominating in the scrum and the maul, Clitheroe could not take down Dominic Murphy before he dropped over under the sticks for a try.

Boult was next over for his hat-trick, and the domination by the forwards constantly drove back Clitheroe to feed to Henry Sanderson for the final try of the game.

Man of the match for his powerful runs and unselfish play was George Hibbert.

For further information about the junior section, call Martin Evans on 07793823935.