Rugby: Burnley created opportunities but could not score

editorial image

Burnley 18, Garstang 22

Some games you win, some you lose and some you lose yourself - and this was definitely the latter.

A losing bonus point will be scant consolation to Burnley, who created a host of opportunities but couldn’t quite get the decisive score.

Burnley started at a blistering pace and threatened to overrun the visitors.

Luca Angelone was held up over the line in the first two minutes and Matt Crowley was cut down in full flight with a high tackle. Burnley opted to kick to the corner, the lineout was won, but in a feature of the afternoon, poor execution enabled Garstang to clear the lines and even worse, from the turnover, score a converted try after 11 minutes.

This lifted the visitors, who used their strong front five to maul good ground.

After a quick penalty, Garstang added another try after a big drive had drawn in the locals defence.

A good run by skipper Nino Angelone fed Matt Calvert, who won a penalty.

A quick tap and Crowley darted over on 25 minutes.

Burnley started to dominate and looked the part, but their inability to retain passes was to be crucial.

A couple of silly penalties surrendered the initiative.

A Burnley attack was charged down with a knock on, which the referee missed, and Garstang had added another try, which they converted to lead 19-5 at half-time.

The second half was much better as Burnley’s scrum gained supremacy and penalties came their way.

After a quick tap, Simon Finnan ghosted through the space to add a try which Dom Leck converted.

Burnley created a number of opportunities out wide after great work by the forwards, but the last pass never went to hand.

After more pressure, Leck added a penalty.

Garstang replied with a penalty, but Burnley retaliated immediately with their own Leck penalty.

Garstang threw everything into their defensive wall, but Burnley created a number of openings and will be bitterly disappointed they couldnt finish off the clear cut chances which came their way.

The seconds went down 46-6 at second placed BAe Warton.

The twos held their own until half-time but the home side’s numerous substitutions proved crucial in the second half. Gus Ferguson added two penalties.

The thirds went down to high flying Thornton 20-7.

Paddy Murphy scored Burnley’s try and Ashley Hancock added the conversion.