Hard graft pays off in the end for Burnley

editorial image

Burnley’s first ever league match against North Manchester proved an entertaining affair on Saturday.

In a tight opening period, Burnley struggled for good possession and territory and went behind as a result of a scrappy pass.

Burnley hit back as a great run by Olly Lord, carried on by Nathan Welsh, led to the Australian powerhouse scoring his first try of the season.

Burnley started to get more ball as hooker Marshall took the ball at will against the head in the scrum, and the locals had several oppurtunities to take the lead, but lack of support led to several chances going begging.

North Manchester hit back with a good break from their outside centre, and also added the conversion.

Impressive Mark Hanson at scrum half was lost temporarily to the blood bin, but physio Sinclair quickly got him back into the match, and this proved crucial as he sniped at the base of rucks, feeding Matt Calvert to crash over, converted by Dom Leck for a half-time score of 12-12.

Burnley made some tactical substitutions at the half and never looked back, as great pressure led to a penalty from Leck.

After this it was all Burnley as lineout and scrum functioned well, but they struggled to break down a well -organised and tenacious defence before their hard work finally paid off as Leck got over for a try.

Burnley seconds went down 36-12 at Barrow. They made a great start, Gareth Hughes and Ben Healey scoring tries and Gus Ferguson converting one to lead 12-3 at the half, but the long journey and playing into a strong wind caught up with them. Danny Rycroft was man of the match.

Burnley thirds travelled to face local rivals Colne and gave a good account of themselves. Great defence from Malcolm and Jackson repelled attack after attack before Burnley settled - William Yip doing well at fly half. Colne ran in two tries before John Fenny hit back with a short range effort thanks to good turnover ball from Jake Bonney. Yip got the kick to make it 10-7 at half-time. Colne made full use of their many subs, and as Burnley tired they conceded three tries, two of which were converted. Man of the match was Lee Dane.

Tomorrow Burnley travel to St Edward’s Old Boys in Liverpool, the seconds and thirds are home to Keswick and Bolton. Anyone interested in playing or helping in any capacity with the club will be made more than welcome.

On Sunday the Under 17s play Didsbury at 12-30 p.m., and the Under 19s face Ashton on Mersey at 2 p.m. The club are always looking for new players. Please ring coach Simon Finnan (07988122186).