Happy travels for in-form Burnley!

editorial image
Share this article

Burnley came back from the dead and won their third away match in as many weeks - and, in what must be a record, in their third different county.

Following wins on the road in Merseyside and Cumbria, they were back in Lancashire playing an improving Tarleton.

Burnleys fantastic start in Barrow was a distant memory as it was their turn to stumble out of the starting blocks in a lethargic opening period

The home side caught Burnley napping with two converted tries early in the game as the locals struggled to come to terms with the some tigerish commitment.

Only Burnley’s scrum offered any positives, with the three Angelone brothers putting themselves about.

An Adam Healey try reduced the deficit and gave Burnley some hope, though they trailed 14-5 at half-time.

Things rapidly got worse early in the second half as Tarleton got a converted try, however, this seemed to spur Burnley, who upped their effort and realised they really were in a game.

And as the hosts tired, Burnley started to get on top and chip away at the deficit with tries from the impressive Tom Ives and skipper Nino Angelone, one of which was converted, and two great penalties from Dom Leck as Burnley won 23-21.

Tomorrow Burnley host Hutton at Holden Road in what could be their hardest test of the season. Kick-off is at 3 p.m. and all support will be made more than welcome.

Burnley seconds’ season imploded in a woeful performance at home to an average Duckinfield side.

Burnley lacked any sparkle and got bogged down in a forward-orientated game which suited the visitors.

The hosts took the lead from some quick thinking by Rick Griffiths, which was converted by Gus Ferguson.

Poor tackling allowed the visitors to hit back, and early in the second half they took the lead before Griffiths got another score, putting Burnley ahead.

Duckinfield played for field position, utilising their strengths and got the winning score.

Burnley finally threw everything at the visitors but it was too little too late in a 15-12 defeat.

The Under 16s won 34-0 at Bowdon in Millionaires’ Row in Cheshire.

Tom Cooley opened the scoring, converted by Lee Ferrier.

In the second half, Andy Routh-Smith went over for a great try, before Cooley powered over for a second try.

Routh-Smith went the length of the pitch for a score, with Ferrier kicking the conversion

Anthony Clarke made a great blindside break, sold the defence with a great dummy and ghosted over, and James Henderson powerfully broke the line to score the final try.

The team are to meet at club on Sunday at 9-45 a.m.