Disappointing start to year for Burnley RUFC

editorial image

BURNLEY started the New Year off in disappointing fashion, going down 31-15 at Oldham.

The locals trailed to an early penalty before Matt Calvert scored a try.

Oldham regained and increased their lead through a series of penalties, before Burnley scored further tries through Ben Healy and the returning Billy Ingham to nudge ahead.

On the half, the home side scored a try to lead 18-15.

The second half was a scrappy affair with numerous penalties awarded.

Oldham took their chances with their penalty kicks to extend their lead, adding a couple of tries.

Despite the best efforts of Ed Taylor in the back row and Danny Marshall on at hooker, the returning Mark Hanson and youngster Kyle Snaith on the wing, playing his best game in the blue and gold, Burnley couldn’t create any further scores and will be licking their self-inflicted wounds.

The seconds stayed top of their league after a hard-fought win over Chorley.

Burnley dominated the first half but could only muster a penalty and drop goal from skipper Ferguson’s boot, despite some strong runs from the returning Joe Till and Matt Higson. Josh Brown was unlucky to score when he was held up over the line.

The second half was again one-way traffic, but as the visitors’ defence tired, and the addition of Mark Spencer gave Burnley a more ruthless edge, tries coming through Matt Ward, Matt Higson and a great kick and chase by John Fenney. Ferguson added two conversions to make it 25-0.

The thirds recovered well after trailing to an early penalty away at Colne. Good runs from Andrew Daggers and Mark Bertenshaw set Dan King off on a run for the first try, converted by man of the match Joe Parkinson. A further try came from skipper Jason Bell to make it 14-3 at half-time.

Colne came back strongly in the second half as their captain scored a try, but Burnley gained a penalty after good work by Gary Dixon.

Ill-discipline led to the awarding of a penalty try to the home side, but in the move of the match, Parkinson ran in after a mis-pass from the improving Chris Wall.

Colne again hit back, but Burnley had the last word as Lee Dane pounced on a loose ball to secure a 31-22 win.

The Under 16s had a great win at Rossendale. Skipper Richard Birchall opened their account with a try, converted by Jake Foster. After good runs by Jack Donovan, Elliot Gaughan grounded the ball, again converted by Foster, and Dom Murphy added another try on the half. Rossendale dominated the second half, creating a number of scores. James Macken pulled off try-saving tackle late in the game which earned him the man of the match award and enabled the youngsters to hold on, 19-10.

Today Burnley firsts and thirds are home to North Manchester and Preston Grasshoppers, and the seconds travel to Rossendale, all 2-15 p.m. kick-offs. Tomorrow, the tags/Under 10/12s are training, the Under 13/16s home to Bolton, and Under 19s at Bury

On Friday, February 15th, a memorial dinner will be held at the club for the sadly-missed former club doctor Ian Mahady. David Purdie will be entertaining guests. Tickets are priced £30, details from Stuart Douglas at s_j_douglas@talk21.com or the club on 424337.