Burnley seconds end unbeaten Southport’s perfect start

Burnley Rugby Club Under 15s
Burnley Rugby Club Under 15s

Burnley seconds beat previously unbeaten table toppers Southport 27-12 in perfect conditions at Holden Road last Saturday.

Spectators were treated to an excellent game.

With nothing between the sides early o,n it was an error which gave the visitors their first score as they took a scrum against the head and the home defence was caught flatfooted, allowing an easy try.

Burnley responded well with good running by Steve Harrison, dominating territorily, but struggled to break a formidable visiting defence, aided by a lack of precision by the locals.

Burnley were forced to try a drop goal, which drifted wide, but no mistake was made with a penalty shortly after by Gus Ferguson.

Southport responded well, and a foot up at a scrum and some quick thinking by the number nine led to them stretching their lead with a converted try.

Burnley missed a penalty just before the half which would have got them back in the game, as they trailed 12-3.

The locals were a different side in the second half as the forwards took the game to the visitors.

After numerous drives, good work by Matt Higson led to him offloading to Adam Lee to score. Burnley kept up the pressure, and eventually Ferguson dived over to snatch the lead. Harrison added the kick.

After more great work by the forwards, the referee awarded a penalty try, Harrison adding the kick.

Southport lost a player to the sin bin as they got frustrated, and Burnley capitalised with the extra man.

Danny Marshall grounded the ball after an excellent drive to seal the win.

The thirds went down at unbeaten Eccles 67-12.

Burnley’s scorers were Matt Crowley and Ian Jones, and Joe Parkinson added a conversion. There were good debuts from Charlie Gregory, Reece Clark and Harry Howarth.

Burnley Under 15s went down 41-17 against a strong Bury outfit.

There was an excellent debut from Bailey and utility player Robinson. The pack were excellent, particularly Drea, Hendleman, Pullen, Mattock and Anderson.

Wignall, Berry,Smith and Bonney all put in strong performances, while Butterworth got the best out of his backs. Burnley’s scorers were Wold, Knowles and Wilks with Wold adding a conversion. Conor McKnightwas man of the match.

Tomorrow the firsts host North Manchester, and the seconds are at Ormskirk.On Sunday all junior sides are home to Bury at 11 a.m., while the Colts play Ormskirk at 2 p.m.