Burnley’s remarkable win

editorial image

Burnley pulled off a remarkable victory on Saturday, reducing their travelling support to nervous wrecks on the way.

In an amazing game, the locals picked up where they had left off a week earlier, playing with incredible ferocity.

The hard work at training is beginning to reap its reward.

They were unlucky not to take an early lead, before Trafford hit back with a converted try.

Burnley responded immediately with great pressure from a lineout which allowed skipper Nino Angelone to power over, Dom Leck adding the kick.

Burnley attacked again, only for a stray pass to allow the home side to race the length of the pitch and take the lead.

The locals attacked again, and their pressure resulted in a penalty try.

Burnley relaxed, and Trafford seized their chance with quick fast ball as they scored three quick tries, two of which they converted.

Burnley looked dead and buried at half time, 31-14 down, but one of the admirable things of this team is that they never give up.

In a remarkable second half they came back from the dead.

Burnley used half-time well and changed their tactical approach in an attempt to nullify the home team’s skilful back division.

Matt Calvert came on and showed how much he has been missed, and Richard Murray and Lawrie Smith added a physicality and experience to Burnley’s efforts.

Burnley critically not just outfought Trafford, but outthought them too as they cut down their opponents’ space, and the approach reaped immediate dividends as it was the locals’ turn to intercept.

Matt Crowley grabbed two interception tries., with Ben Healey at the centre of everything playing with his usual heart.

Alex Menderos weighed in with a try after great pressure from the forwards, and Leck darted over, as well as converting three of the tries.

A late onslaught from the home team resulted in a penalty.

Burnley’s game management has moved on from the Bury match - a good sign as they are progressing as a group each week, and there was no way back for Trafford, as Burnley tackled ferociously, particularly their wingers.

A youthful thirds went down in a close game away against an experienced Preston side.

Malcolm Kerr was man of the match in a 10-5 defeat.

The Under 15s finally got a game and made up for lost time with a committed display against Clitheroe.

After great early pressure.skipper Marc Henderson scored.

Further pressure and great recycling led to Dom Murphy scoring and converting his own try.

Burnley eased up and allowed Clitheroe back into the match with a converted try, but they resumed their dominance in the second half only for sloppy play to hand penalties to the visitors.

Burnley finally scored through Jack Donovan, converted by Austin Ralph, but Clitheroe hit back with a converted try.

Burnley weren’t finished, and Richard Birchall burst through to score.

There was no man of the match award as the whole team could not be separated in a 24-14 win.

Tomorrow Burnley’s first team play Windemere at 3 p.m. in a crucial league match, with all support welcome.

The seconds travel to Preston.

On Sunday, the Under 17s and Under 19s are training, while all other junior teams are playing at Fleetwood.