Burnley RUFC end on a high note

editorial image
Share this article

BURNLEY wrapped up a disjointed season with another bonus point victory against lowly Birchfield.

The points took the men from Holden Road up to eighth after seeming doomed just five weeks ago.

Burnley dominated the opening period through a strong set piece, but silly penalties kept the Widnes-based outfit in the game.

After a good interchange of passes, winger Matt Crowley got the first score on 12 minutes.

After 19 minutes, top try scorer Billy Ingham crashed over, and Dom Leck converted.

Burnley were unlucky not to add to their total after a great run from centre Theo Coleman, before an interception try from Birchfield’s talented centre gave the visitors some brief hope.

Burnley worked their way downfield, and from a scrum, the impressive Tom Cooley crashed over, and Leck added the kick to make it 19-7 at half-time.

The visitors from Cheshire dominated the early exchanges in the second half, but good defence kept them at bay.

Burnley made a couple of changes as Matt Calvert and Jack Stockdale came on and they soon reasserted their dominance.

Burnley were getting the better of the forward exchanges as Birchfield tired, and from another dominant scrum, Leck darted over, adding the kick.

More pressure allowed Leck to burst through once more, as well as adding the kick.

With Burnley threatening to run riot, Jack Stockdale finished off a dazzling move, only for the play to be called back for an injury to the referee, and the premature ending of the game at 33-7.

The seconds were away at Wigan, and Christian Allanson starred, bagging a brace of tries. Danny Foster and Steve Harrison also got one apiece.

Skipper Gus Ferguson amazingly got a full house of scores - a try, four conversions, a penalty and drop goal, as well as the man of the match accolade, but still came away on the losing side in a highly entertaining game, 62-39.

The thirds went down at Leigh despite dominating the first half.

The home team grabbed a couple of scores in the second half to win 17-0.