Burnley RUFC build on fine display

editorial image

IN very poor conditions, Burnley built on last week’s promising display, overcoming third placed Hutton to complete their first double of the season.

Hutton started the better, but a good Josh Brown steal at the lineout relieved the pressure.

Then a good Ryan Bradley run after a quick Simon Finnan tap penalty was unlucky not to produce anything. Finnan went over the line but the ref was unsighted.

From the resulting strong scrum, the ball went blind, and Brian Kelly beat his man to cross the line after 15 minutes.

Burnley were dominating possession and territory now, with Bradley making some telling runs but struggling to unlock a tough and determined Hutton defence.

Good interplay by Finnan, Matt Crowley and Bradley was unlucky not to put Matt Calvert in.

A good run by Alex Quinn showed what Burnley had been missing in his absence, as he was just kept out again by fierce defence.

After good Ben Healy work at the lineout, Quinn had a strong run which drew the defence, and he fed Nino Angelone and allowed Matt Higson to go over on 35 minutes.

Burnley were now rampant and should have added further scores as Billy Lancaster went close on two occasions, as the locals went in 10-0 ahead.

The visitors showed their pedigree in a much more even second half as they tested the Burnley line in their best spell of the match.

Eventually they won a penalty, which they converted on 60 minutes.

Burnley came back from the kick-off but some silly penalties surrendered the initiative.

A quick tap penalty by Finnan fed Matt Crowley, who scored the try of the day after some nifty footwork and a delicate chip, after which he raced through and grounded the ball.

Burnley lost Will Yip to the bin after handling in the ruck and Hutton tried to use their extra man.

Burnley, however, scrapped for everything and played with a new-found confidence, finishing much the stronger and setting them up for two tough trips away from home, as they won 15-3.

The seconds regained top spot in their league after an excellent win over a useful Fleetwood side.

It took Burnley a long while to get into the game as the visitors dominated territory and possession, but could only record three points.

Slowly the Burnley backs wore down their opponents with tries from Matt Maquis, Lloyd Whittaker and Danny Rycroft.

Two penalties and a conversion from Alex Menderos pulled the home side well clear, and good work from the forwards led to the evergreen Mark Spencer scoring a try.

The score of the afternoon came from man of the match Wez Hughes as Burnley won 33-3.

Burnley Senior Colts had a long away trip to Eccleshall, near Stafford, to meet a team close to the top of the league.

In conditions akin to a tempest, with the field very wet and just playable in freezing temperatures, the lads took to their task well, playing with great spirit and skill.

They had the edge in possession and territory, though Eccelshall defended well.

Despite their dominance, the home team had a couple of real flyers in the backs and this told as they edged in front. In the conditions, the whistle came as a relief but a good hard game had been had, with a 19-5 defeat not indicating how close a game it was.

Tomorrow, Burnley travel to Garstang, and the seconds and thirds are home to Wigan and Carnforth, all 2-15 p.m. kick-offs.

On Sunday, the tags, Under 10s/12s are home to Bolton, the Under 16s are at Rossendale, and the Under 19s are home to Ashton on Mersey at 2-15 p.m.