Burnley climb to fourth as they refuse to be blown off course

editorial image

Burnley refused to be blown off course as they hosted bottom of the table Hutton in a game that was far from a breeze in appalling weather conditions.

The locals, playing with the wind, were first to score.

After strong pressure on Hutton’s line, a stray clearance kick went straight to full back Matt Marquis, who sprinted round the covering defence to score a try.

Burnley carried on working well up front, with debutant Cameron Croasdale to the fore.

After strong driving play, skipper Luca Angelone grounded the ball, with Gus Ferguson adding the conversion.

A third try followed soon after, as Adam Healy scored after a quick tap penalty, which stemmed from a Hutton infringement at the scrum.

Hutton responded well, and after winning a penalty for an off-side at the ruck, gained a lot of territory.

Their forwards put in some good drives and created space for their centre to score.

Burnley hit back as Ferguson scored a try, and he bagged his second shortly after as a clever kick by Richard Murray was gathered well by Mike Bell, and he fed the supporting Paul Mullaband, who drew his man to put Ferguson clean through. He converted his try to make it 29-5 at the half.

The second half was almost a complete reverse of the first as Burnley battled the elements and resolute visiting team.

Despite the weather Burnley dug deep.

The game was attritional, with neither side being able to break each other or Mother Nature’s grip for long periods.

Burnley were camped deep in their own 22 for long spells of the half as the howling gale made it difficult to gain any headway.

The visitors did manage to drive over once and convert their try.

The weather was proving a real leveller, and tempers frayed, with both sides losing a player to the sin bin.

When Burnley managed to get into Hutton territory, they made it count, and after some excellent scrummaging, Ben Healy touched the ball down to give the locals their 34-12 victory margin.

With few of their rivals playing, Burnley climbed to fourth in the league.

Burnley thirds had a good win against nearest challengers Clitheroe.

The main factor during the game was again the weather.

Clitheroe, starting with the wind, got the better of the early exchanges, pouncing on a clearance kick affected by the wind to score first.

Burnley started to play to their strengths by keeping the ball tight and driving up the field with some excellent tight play.

The Burnley set piece was working well again, and it turned over several opposition scrums, with the front three of Charlie Hill, Danny Foster and Dom Bythell proving too powerful for the experienced Clitheroe pack.

Burnley scored on their only foray into the vistors’ half as Mark Bertenshaw grounded the ball after some good forward play to make it 7-7 at half-time.

The second half was all Burnley, with the wind behind them, allied to some excellent running from the returning Jackson and Lee Mason.

Joe Parkinson produced a man of the match display with his tackling and powerful runs and he grabbed an early try to put Burnley in the lead.

Another short range try by Bertenshaw extended the locals’ lead.

Matt Higgson at fly half controlled the game and started to apply pressure on the tiring Clitheroe back line, and despite several personnel changes Burnley didn’t lose their dominance.

And when Parkinson cut inside and scored the last try, Burnley ended 24-7 victors.

Tomorrow the firsts and thirds are at Garstang and Vale of Lune, and the seconds host Bury, with all games 2-15 p.m. kick-offs.

On Sunday the Under 7/8s are at North Ribblesdale, the Under 11s are training, and the Under 13s are at Clitheroe.