South Africa International Lyle Foster wasn’t the only player being watched on his trip to Belgium — confirms Burnley boss Vincent Kompany

Lyle Foster wasn't the only player being observed in Belgium, according to boss Vincent Kompany.

The Burnley boss was pictured in the stands at Het Kuipje on Tuesday, alongside assistant manager Craig Bellamy, as Westerlo hosted Genk on Tuesday evening.

The Clarets' 22-year-old target, who turned his loan spell from Portuguese side Vitoria Guimaraes into a permanent move to the Belgian Pro League in the summer, started for De Kemphanen in their 3-2 defeat.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The South African forward has played 20 times for Jonas De Roeck's men in the Belgian First Division A this term, scoring eight times so far this season.

Kortrijk's Habib Keita and Westerlo's Lyle Foster fight for the ball during a soccer match between KV Kortrijk and KVC Westerlo, Saturday 22 October 2022 in Kortrijk, on day 14 of the 2022-2023 'Jupiler Pro League' first division of the Belgian championship. BELGA PHOTO KURT DESPLENTER (Photo by KURT DESPLENTER / BELGA MAG / Belga via AFP) (Photo by KURT DESPLENTER/BELGA MAG/AFP via Getty Images)

Reports in Kompany's homeland reported that the Championship leaders had seen a bid of €5m rejected, though there has been no suggestion as to whether the club will return with an improved offer.

"From our side there is no rush, it was an opportunity to see players," said Kompany. "To be honest he wasn't the only player on that pitch although I understand he is the one being talked about now, but there is a few more.

"For us, there is this season and there is next season whether we are in the Premier League or the Championship and we need to plan ahead.

"I have been to see other games where I got away with it but not this one.

Burnley manager Vincent Kompany in the post match interview The Emirates FA Cup Third Round - Bournemouth v Burnley - Saturday 7th January 2023 - Dean Court - Bournemouth

"In general it is a good way to get a good look at players. It is always valuable but it doesn't mean as much as that, we will see."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kompany is keen to add more bodies to his squad this month, having just invited Sint-Truiden defender Ameen Al-Dakhil through the door at present.

Talk surrounding Swansea City striker Michael Obafemi have quietened somewhat, though it is clear that bids were made and the Republic of Ireland international would welcome the move.

Asked if there's more to come, he said: "The honest answer is maybe. I go back to what I said in the beginning because what we don't want to be facing in the summer is 10-15 players coming in because that doesn't help the club.

"Anything we can do early we will do. If we can sign a player now rather than wait until the summer we will do it even if it means the squad is a little bit filled. I think we have to do it now for the bigger picture."