Port Vale 1, Burnley 0

Burnley crashed out of the Capital One Cup at the first hurdle after Byron Moore’s late strike earned Port Vale victory.

Without such luxuries as goal-line technology, referee Trevor Kettle was forced to consult with his assistant to determine whether the ball crossed the line.

But, after the moment of hesitancy had temporarily quietened celebrations from the home support at Vale Park, the goal was awarded in the 82nd minute.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And, in truth, it was nothing less than the Valiants deserved following a dire, underwhelming display from the Clarets.

Boss Sean Dyche made four changes from the XI that started the fixture against Leeds United at Elland Road - with captain Tom Heaton, Michael Keane, David Jones and Lukas Jutkiewicz making way for Matt Gilks, Stephen Ward, Matt Taylor and Sam Vokes respectively.

Following an empty opening quarter-of-an-hour, the troublesome Enoch Andoh fired the first bullet when slicing a volley wide after Ben Purkiss and Sam Foley had worked a quick set-piece.

At the opposite end George Boyd saw his half-volley blocked by Richard Duffy from the edge of the six-yard box after goalkeeper Jak Alnwick had failed to gather Michael Kightly’s testing cross.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

That, however, proved a rare sight of goal for the visitors. Boyd scuffed an effort wide from 20 yards out courtesy of Jelle Vossen’s assist just after the half hour, but Vale soon grabbed the bull by the horns.

Louis Dodds flicked a header wide from Moore’s centre with five minutes of the first half remaining before full back Tendayi Darikwa was forced to throw himself at Carl Dickinson’s fizzing strike after Ajay Leitch Smith had caused problems down the right hand side.

In fact the announcer’s revelation of the half-time scoreline at Ewood Park - where Shrewsbury Town were beating Rovers 2-1 - was the only moment of satisfaction for the 909 travelling fans.

There wasn’t much of an improvement after the break either, though the Clarets did appear the more likely to force the breakthrough.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kightly’s drive was blocked by substitute Ryan Inniss after Boyd did exceptionally well to move goal side of Andoh from Darikwa’s pass.

After Vossen’s acrobatic effort drifted wide of the upright, Dyche opted to freshen things up by withdrawing the Belgian and introducing Marvin Sordell.

The away side went close in the 67th minute when Ben Mee’s overlap drew space on the edge of the box for Kightly and his right-footed drive was beaten away by Alnwick.

Taylor fired wide from the edge of the box after being teed up by Sordell as the Clarets probed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The tie seemed destined for extra-time, but Moore had other ideas.

Sam Kelly raced down the left after getting beyond Darikwa, the substitute’s teasing delivery was pushed out to Moore by Gilks and the 26-year-old forward’s effort cannoned in off the Clarets stopper despite Michael Duff’s best attempts on the line.

Vale were admirably stubborn in the closing stages, though the Clarets had opportunities to level in the four minutes of time added on by the fourth official.

Ward headed over after Kightly’s corner found the Republic of Ireland international unmarked on the penalty spot before Boyd raced through on goal and clipped the bar with an angled, left-footed shot.

But the sound of Kettle’s final whistle ensured it was the League One outfit who progressed to the next round of the competition.