Padiham win Reserve Cup Final

Tom Bradley celebrates
Tom Bradley celebrates
Share this article

PADIHAM Reserves won the North West Counties Football League Reserve Division Cup at the Arbories.

The Storks needed extra time to kill off theor Yorkshire opponents, and had to overcome being reduced to 10 men for the last 25 minutes as former Burnley professional Ben Hoskin was dismissed for a second bookable offence in a well-contested game that saw chances at both ends.

The breakthrough for the Storks came eight minutes from time when another former Claret Tom Bradley let fly with an unstoppable 25-yard screamer that flew into the Silsden net.

The cup was secured two minutes from time when 17-year-old Joel Melia jinked his way through the Silsden defence before cooly slotting home.

The Storks’ second string brought the curtain down on their season with a 1-0 league win at Ashton Town Reserves on Saturday.

A Nathan Egan goal midway through the first half secured the points on a very sandy surface.

Tonight, Padiham’s end of season presentation night takes place at the Arbories, and the club’s final game of the season is tomorrow at Colne’s XLCR Stadium as the Storks send a side to take on Rock Rovers in the long-awaited final of the Bird Cup, kick-off 2-30 p.m.Padiham Ladies had a treat, meanwhile, as they enjoyed a surprise change of venue for their game at Carlisle.

A late decision saw Carlisle allow the North West Women’s Regional League game to go ahead at Brunton Park, handing the Storks the opportunity to play at a Football League ground.

Charlotte Holden certainly revelled in the atmosphere, scoring a hat-trick in the first half to give the Storks a 3-1 half-time lead.

Danni McKillop increased Padiham’s lead just after the hour mark, and although the hosts scored two late goals, Padiham were well worth their 4-3 win.

The ladies ended their season - their first in the North West Women’s Regional League - with a 2-2 home draw against Leigh RMI.

Padiham’s A team were knocked out of the East Lancashire League’s President’s Cup competition at the semi-final stage, losing 3-0 to First Division side Enfield at Hurst Green.

l BORROWDALE United lost 2-0 to Rock Rovers in the Bob Little Cup Final played at Padiham’s Arbories ground.

Goals in either half did for United, and, to be fair the best team won on the night, although, if Gary Smith’s thunderous shot had gone in, rather than hit the bar, it may have been a different story.