Teenage duo help Padiham do the double over rivals Maine Road!

Martin Parkes
Martin Parkes
Share this article

Padiham completed a North West Counties Football League Premier Division double over Maine Road at the Arbories Memorial Sports Grounds YESSS Electrical Arena on Saturday with two teenage substitutes having a big impact on the fixture.

However it was captain Martin Parkes who started the ball rolling after 10 minutes of the first half when a cross from Darren Green to the far post was headed down by Daley Woods into the path of the defender who made no mistake with a shot out of the reach of keeper Ryan Livesey to put the Storks one up.

A well worked passage of play between Matty Wilson and Connor Hughes almost brought an equaliser for the visitors two minutes after the restart, but Hughes`s shot on goal was too high.

Storks full back Adam Freeland very nearly doubled the home sides lead on 21 minutes, however his goal bound shot was deflected over the cross bar and out for a corner.

At the other end, Padiham keeper Michael Donlon ensured the Storks lead was kept intact at half time when he saved bravely at the feet of Wilson on 40 minutes.

The second half exploded into life after only five minutes when substitute Josh Emmott celebrated his 18th birthday with a goal following an edge of the box shot on the turn after good work by defender Seydou Bamba, increasing the home side’s lead to 2-0.

David Hankin went close to making it 3-0 with a long range effort that Livesey did well to keep out and then could only watch as Sean Cookson headed wide Bamba’s cross.

Livesey was once again in action on the hour mark to tip Woods’ effort round the post and as Padiham piled on the pressure Woods had another attempt on goal deflected for a corner. Parkes, in search of his second of the afternoon, then headed Andy Hill’s delivery wide.

Maine Road got a foot hold back into the game with 15 minutes remaining when Wilson reacted first to a partial save by Donlon to smash home the loose ball to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

But Padiham soon restored their two-goal advantage when 17-year-old substitute Jake Townsend, on loan from Morecambe Football Club, received his first pass in a Padiham shirt, burst through the visitors defence and calmly shot into the corner of the net to make it 3-1.

Townsend went close again in the run up to full time, as did Cookson when he went through one-on-one with Livesey but chose to try and square a pass to his strike partner Woods which didn`t come off.

Padiham have no midweek fixture but host Congleton Town on Saturday, kick-off 3 p.m.