Storks advance in the Emirates FA Cup

PADIHAM V OSSETT TOWN: Padihams Kieron Pickup makes space for a shot.'Photo Ben Parsons
PADIHAM V OSSETT TOWN: Padihams Kieron Pickup makes space for a shot.'Photo Ben Parsons
Share this article

Under a warm late August sun, Padiham continued their road to Wembley with an impressive 2-0 victory at Silsden in the Emirates FA Cup at The Angel Telecom Stadium on Saturday.

A cagey opening 20 minutes was broken when a delightfully delicate through ball from Curtis Haley was slotted home past Silsden keeper Daniel Thorpe by Sean Cookson.

Silsden continued in vain to compete again immediately but Jack Brooks’ six-yard effort was smothered clear.

Ten minutes later a further effort from the home side was saved well by the Storks keeper.

Minutes later, Padiham were gifted a penalty when Keiron Pickup’s cross was handled in the area.

The Padiham number 10 duly stepped up to convert.

Almost straight from the restart. a third Storks strike was correctly ruled out for off-side.

The second period was barely underway when the hosts made Davis work again saving an effort low down to his left.

He was again called into action on the hour mark, tipping Chris Wademan’s effort over the crossbar.

However the Storks goalkeeper saved his best until the 70th minute.

A foul by Padiham’s stalwart skipper Martin Parkes resulted in a Silsden penalty.

The resulting kick from captain Joseph Mitchell was brilliantly saved by Davis, who, with strong hands, pushed the ball away to his left and the Padiham defence cleared the danger.

A flurry of late substitutions from both sides failed to change the end result, the Storks seeing out the game and earning a date in the first qualifying round on September 12th at the YESSS Electricals Arena, where they will face the winners of the Lancaster City/Marske United replay which is played tonight.

In the meantime, Padiham now face AFC Blackpool tomorrow night at the Arbories (7-45 p.m. kick-off).

In other club news, Chris Price’s reserve charges manufactured an impressive 5-1 victory, coming from a goal behind against an always strong Skelmersdale United side. Wayne Morrison’s hat-trick the highlight.