Padiham win replay after Ormerod treble

Hat-trick hero: Brett Ormerod helped fire Padiham to an FA Trophy meeting with FC United
Hat-trick hero: Brett Ormerod helped fire Padiham to an FA Trophy meeting with FC United
Share this article

Brett Ormerod hit a hat-trick as Padiham not only recorded their first home win of the season on Wednesday night, but also secured their first-ever victory in the FA Trophy competition.

Steve Wilkes’ men beat Brigg Town 4-2 in their preliminary round replay at the YESSS Electrical Arena at the Arbories to set up a trip to Evo-Stik Premier Division FC United of Manchester on Sunday, November 2nd.

The Storks included Ben Allen in their line up for the first time since he was injured on Boxing Day at Clitheroe, and hed made an instant impact on the game when he crossed for Ormerod to open the scoring at the far post after only five minutes.

Allen was also in the thick of things five minutes later when he set up Jason Hart whose shot was saved by keeper Jody Barford.

Brigg hit back with a spell of pressure that saw Anthony Bowsley hit the upright, before a shot flew across the face of goal, and Storks keeper Marcus Burgess had to be alert to keep another effort out.

It was not surprising when the visitors took full advantage of a defensive error to draw level on 18 minutes as Elliot Broughton headed in a left wing cross.

Clark Bradford went close for Padiham on 20 minutes with a shot deflected for a corner, and four minutes later Ormerod made a great run into the box but couldn`t finish the move off.

However, on 28 minutes the former Blackpool and Southampton striker scored a great headed goal following a cross from Hart to make it 2-1.

Further chances came Padihams way before the break, as Hart shot straight at Barford and Allen had a shot tipped round the post.

At the other end Burgess was also in action to keep Town at bay and Padiham still ahead at half-time.

Padiham had a good start to the second half but couldn’t find a third goal, and on 68 minutes Brigg Town equalised through Anthony Bowsley, who out jumped the defence to head past Burgess.

Padihams determination not to go into extra-time paid off on 88 minutes as Ormerod completed his hat-trick with another headed goal from a Mark Sharples cross, and deep into added time substitute Robbie Bromley made it 4-2 with a 60-yard shot into an empty net after Barford had gone up for a corner.

Padiham are at home again tomorrow against Farsley AFC, kick-off 3 p.m.