Padiham suffer cup defeat as lead twice slips through their fingers

Kieran Pickup scored Padiham's third goal at Mossley, but they lost to a late effort from the hosts
Kieran Pickup scored Padiham's third goal at Mossley, but they lost to a late effort from the hosts

Padiham made five changes to the team that lost to Penrith in the FA Cup on Saturday when they travelled to Mossley on Tuesday night for their Doodson Sport Cup tie.

It resulted in a much better all-round team performance, but they still ended up on the wrong side of a 4-3 scoreline.

It was an exciting match for any neutrals at Seel Park, but agony for the Storks, who led 2-0 and 3-1 at different times during an end to end encounter, only to lose to an 89th-minute Callam Gardner goal.

Padiham had some good early pressure.

But the home side went closest to scoring in the first 10 minutes when Charlie Anderson headed a free kick just wide, before Kevin McGrath outjumped the visitors’ defence to head a corner the wrong side of the upright.

Another deadball situation troubled the Storks on 17 minutes when McGrath got on the end of another free kick, but again headed wide.

At the other end, Padiham got the opening goal two minutes later hen Ben Allen headed in a well-worked free kick by Mark Sharples.

Six minutes later, as Padiham enjoyed a period of total dominance, Tom Bradley smashed in a 25-yard screamer.

Just before half-time Mossley turned the game around, however.

John Bennett sent an effort wide, before McGrath flicked on a loose ball from a free kick, and Danny Broadbent headed home to make it 2-1 at the break.

After the restart, Phil Drummond fired across the Padiham goal, before Jack Cook broke down the right, and his pull back was smashed in by Kieran Pickup to restore Padiham’s two-goal advantage.

The Storks went close again 20 minutes from time when Pickup shot widfe from Kieran Britton’s left-wing cross.

However, two goals in two minutes changes the complexion of the tie.

Broadbent turned in a near post cross on 73 minutes, before Lewis Nightingale equalised two minutes later, direct from a quickly-taken free kick.

Padiham had chances to regain the lead in a dramatic finish.

First, Pickup fired straight into the body of keeper Russ Saunders, and from a Bradley corner, Sharples’ effort from 20 yards flew inches over.

Penalties looked inevitable.

But the game had one more twist asa ball in frm the right saw Mossley substitute Gardener sneak in between Cook and Marcus Burgess to head in a late, late winner.

Padiham are back in league action tomorrow when Ossett Town are the visitors at the Arbories, kick-off 3 p.m.