Padiham suffer away defeat but everything put into perspective

Late chance: Michael Morrison couldn't take advantage of a chance to equalise at Kendal Town
Late chance: Michael Morrison couldn't take advantage of a chance to equalise at Kendal Town

Padiham went down to defeat in the EvoStik First Division North on Tuesday night in a game which was overshadowed by the death of a home supporter.

A Kendal fan collapsed and died during the first half of the game, delaying the start of the second half, until family members expressed their wish that the game should continue.

The Storks turned in a Jekyll and Hyde performance, dominating the first half, but losing their way after the break.

The home side took the lead on eight minutes when Padiham keeper Sean Davis failed to hold Danny Mitchley’s shot, and Maison McGeechan followed up to smash the loose ball into the empty net.

A series of missed chances proved frustrating for Padiham, but four minutes from half-time, the pressure paid off as Danny Boyle netted after good work from Dominic Craig.

After the interval, the Storks had the worst possible start as Mitchley headed in a corner from the right to restore Kendal’s lead.

Padiham never really threatened the home goal until late in the game, when two of the Storks’ substitutes, Paul Fildes and Spencer Jordan, combined well to test Kendal keeper Danny McDonald.

A free kick by Fildes picked out the head of Jordan, and only an exceptional save kept the ball out.

The Storks had one more chance before the final whistle, when a ball in from the right found it’s way to Michael Morrison, but the ball somehow got tangled up in the striker’s feet and the opportunity went begging.

That left the Storks 17th in the table, five points above the relegation zone with eight games to play, having played two games fewer than next bottom Wakefield.

Padiham are at home to Burscough tomorrow, kick-off 3 p.m., and then have a week without a game before a trip to New Mills.

Meanwhile, Padiham Under 18s reached the semi-final of the East Lancashifre Alliance Youth League Cup on Sunday with a 3-0 win over Great Harwood.

Jack Layfield (2) and Jake Willacy were on target for the Storks.