Padiham sent crashing out of the FA Vase

RETURN FROM SUSPENSION: Martin Parkes will be available tomorrow night
RETURN FROM SUSPENSION: Martin Parkes will be available tomorrow night

PADIHAM arrived at Formby’s Altcar Road ground for their FA Vase tie unbeaten, but left shell-shocked after suffering a second half hammering.

A competitive first half had seen Lee Barrett give Padiham the lead, but though the home side matched Steve Wilkes’s men for most of the opening 45 minutes, there was no indication of what was to happen after the break.

The hosts drew level in the 51st minute when Mike White headed goalwards from corner and Joe Walker deflected the ball past Sean Davis.

Padiham went close to restoring their lead minutes later after Martin Broderick’s inswinging corner was headed off the line by Mark Toohey, but at the other end a good run by Mini Adegbenro forced an opening for Walker who blazed over.

However, two goals within a minute settled the tie. Just before the hour Formby captain Paul Speed broke away to angle his shot past Davis, before a dangerous back pass by Liam Foster proved the perfect invitation for Jason Carey, who rounded Davis to make it 3-1.

Padiham looked a beaten side with Davis making a superb save from Luke Holden in the 62nd minute.

Padiham almost found a way back into the game when Ben Allen found himself one-on-one with Josh O’Connell, but he found the angle too tight and his effort was deflected for a corner. From the resulting set-piece Kieran Fletcher’s attempt was blocked.

Davis had to be at his best to tip over Jason Carey’s speculative lobbed effort, and he saved well from Holden moments later, tipping over another looping shot, but couldn’t do anything to stop Formby adding a fourth goal when Walker added his second from close range after Davis had initially foiled Franny Smith.

Formby’s fifth arrived five minutes from time when Holden thumped a thunderous effort past Davis from distance. Padiham will have both captain Martin Parkes and influential midfielder Joe Garvin back for tomorrow night’s FA Cup replay at Burscough after being absent through suspension.

Padiham Reserves drew 1-1 with West Didsbury and Chorlton.

The Storks took the lead after quarter-of-an-hour when Martin Trickett finished off a good move involving Brad Cookson and Steve Cassidy.

But Padiham keeper Daniel Thorpe dived over an Alex Faukett effort as the sides shared the spoils.