Padiham salvage point with two late goals

Former Blackpool striker Brett Ormerod during his Padiham debut against Lancaster City.
Former Blackpool striker Brett Ormerod during his Padiham debut against Lancaster City.
Share this article

Padiham came back from being 2-0 behind at half-time and 3-1 down with only injury time left to play to draw 3-3 at Lancaster City on Tuesday night to end a run of seven straight defeats

Earlier in the day the Storks had received international clearance for new signing Brett Ormerod to take part in the game and his involvement in the First Division North fixture proved to be a real tonic to the Padiham players in a game that was full of chances at both ends.

The home side certainly looked lively right from the start, but it was Padiham who had the best chances in the early exchanges with James Jenkins shooting wide after being played in by Ormerod and Tom Bradley forcing home keeper Mike Hale to turn his 10th minute shot round the post.

Lancaster also created openings as the game progressed, but efforts from Tom Woods and Tom Kilfin were both wide of the target.

Tom Bradley forced home keeper Hale into another save on 28 minutes, Louis Wilkes shot over on 32 minutes and Craig Haynes effort from a corner was cleared away at the foot of the Lancaster post on 35 minutes as the Storks began to get a foot hold in the game.

A minute later however and all the visitors hard work was undone when Lancaster made Padiham pay a heavy price for losing the ball in midfield as a break down the right and cross was turned in by Tom Woods to give the home side a 1-0 lead. Lancasters second goal arrived four minutes later after a defensive mix up resulted in a needless corner and Jacob Davis heading in to make it 2-0.

Padiham then escaped further damage right on the stroke of half-time after a shot on target got a deflection onto the post before being cleared.

After the break, Padiham upped their work rate but still needed their keeper Ross Dawson to make an excellent double save on the hour mark to keep them in the contest. This proved to be the games turning point as five minutes later a shot from Dominic Craig proved too hot to keep hold of by Lancaster keeper Hale and Jennings followed up to tap in from close range and reduce the deficit to 2-1.

Aaron Taylor headed over a good opportunity for the home side on 77 minutes before the game was delayed for a long period of time whilst Padiham player Craig Haynes received treatment for a bad head injury.

The stoppage didn’t do Padiham any favours and with the loss of Haynes the Storks soon found themselves 3-1 down as Woods scored his second of the evening.

Padiham`s remarkable fight back started in the opening minute of time added on when a Robbie Bromley free kick was helped into the path of Tom Bradley by Brett Ormerod and Bradley’s shot smashed into the top corner of the home sides net.

Bromley himself then stepped up to the mark to grab a dramatic equaliser with another edge of the box rocket and with seconds left on the clock nearly won the game for Padiham with a curling free kick that flew just inches the wrong side of the Lancaster upright.

Padiham return to First Division North action on Saturday with a rearranged home fixture against Burscough at the Arbories. Kick-off is at 3pm.