Padiham pay the ultimate penalty for profligacy in Farsley defeat

Mixed afternoon: Ben Allen scored Padiham's goal against Farsley, but missed a penalty and a late chance
Mixed afternoon: Ben Allen scored Padiham's goal against Farsley, but missed a penalty and a late chance

Padiham’s second half profligacy cost them dearly as they lost 2-1 to high-flying Farsley AFC at the Arbories in the Evo-Stik First Division North.

However, it took until the 87th minute for a Lee Ellington strike to win it for the visitors and rip the hearts out of the Storks after the hosts battled hard to contain their opponents and overcome adverse weather conditions.

In a game played in strong winds, toreential rain and thunder and lightening, both teams deserved full credit for putting on a thoroughly entertaining encounter.

In the first half, Farsley adapted to the conditions the quickest and went close to an opener on the quarter-of-an-hour mark when keeper Ben Proctor had to be alert to keep out Robbie O’Brien’s snap shot.

The away side threatened again six minutes later when Ellington’s drilled free-kick flew across the face of goal and flashed past the far post.

Padiham had a big shout for a penalty within a minute of Ellington’s effort when midfielder Dominic Craig burst in to the box before being impeded on the way to firing in to the side netting.

That frustration then escalated as Farsley took the lead in the next attack as O’Brien found the back of the net following a quick break.

Farsley went close to extending their advantage just before the half hour when Paddy Miller pounced on Padiham’s inability to clear from a corner but his effort struck the bar.

The Storks equaliser arrived in the 38th minute when a whipped set-piece from Kieron Pickup found Ben Allen who forced the ball home to make it 1-1.

The move of the match arrived in the 41st minute when full back Owen Deakin Pickard, Allen and Pickup combined intricately to almost set up Craig who couldn’t quite meet the cross after racing the full length of the pitch.

Allen had one more effort on goal before half-time when he sent a Pickup cross just wide of the near post while at the other end Simeon Bambrook shot wide from just outside the penalty area.

With the weather worsening during the interval the game was in danger of being abandoned but referee Gavin Hock gave the green light for the second half to kick off.

The visitors had the first real chance to restore their lead when Matty Young forced a superb save from Proctor with a thumping effort from close range.

On the hour mark, Padiham’s Craig made another run in to the box and when he was upended on this occasion the Storks were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Allen to take the spot kick, but the striker fired over the bar.

Padiham went close in the 65th minute but Farsley stopper Ben Higginson made a tremendous save from a Pickup free kick.

Bambrook and O’Brien both fired wide as Farsley pressed before Proctor made a clever double save in the 71st minute to keep the scores level.

The turning point of the fixture came with seven minutes to go when Allen latched on to a through ball, rounded the keeper, but with an open goal beckoning he somehow slotted wide of the target.

Farsley then made the hosts pay for that miss when Ellington scored from close range to make it 2-1 and give the visitors all three points.

All other fixtures involving Padiham FC teams were postponed due to the inclement weather.

On Saturday, Padiham travel to Radcliffe Borough for a 3 p.m. kick off.