Padiham pay the penalty after promising start leads to nothing

Lively throughout: Mark Sharples in action for Padiham.
Lively throughout: Mark Sharples in action for Padiham.

Padiham’s roller coaster ride result wise so them go down to a 4-0 defeat at Harrogate Railway Athletic in the Northerm Premier League on Saturday just four days after their 4-3 home win over Wakefield.

Early Padiham pressure saw the home keeper pull off a remarkable save to keep out Mark Sharples’ effort on nine minutes and referee Gareth Rhodes turn down two good penalty shouts before awarding the home side an edge of the box free-kick which looked soft to say the least.

It led to the opening goal as well as Storks keeper Ben Proctor failed to hold onto the deflected dead ball effort allowing Nathan Cartman to score when he crashed in the loose ball on 30 minutes to give Harrogate a 1-0 interval lead.

Padiham opened the second half with more of the match when Sharples released Ashley Carter and his right wing cross found Ben Allen whose powerful header flashed just wide.

The game changer came 13 minutes from time as a mix up between Proctor and centre half Rob Flint resulted in Paul Beesley doubling the home side’s lead.

Things went from bad to worse in the last few minutes of the game as Proctor brought down Beesley and Colin Hunter converted the penalty to make it 3-0 and in the last minute of the game Proctor gave away another penalty when he brought down Beesley again and this time Beesley scored from the spot kick to make it 4-0.

Padiham take on Kendal Town at home on Saturday but have had their midweek away fixture at Darlington postponed because Darlington are now in an FA Trophy replay after drawing at Buxton on Saturday.

Padiham Reserves had no fixture while the Under 18s went out of this season’s Lancashire FA Under 18s County Cup competition losing 2-0 away to Southport on Sunday.

Padiham FC Ladies fared better in the women’s County Cup competition winning 3-2 away at Preston North Ends Ladies.

Emily Wilkinson put Padiham in front but the Storks were pegged back when Preston equalised before half-time. The Storks regained their lead straight from the restart when Speak converted a corner . Becky Hayton made it 3-1 with an overhead kick before Preston pulled one back to make it 3-2.