Padiham fall adrift at foot of the Evo-Stik First Division North table after Brighouse defeat

Equaliser: Louis Mayers
Equaliser: Louis Mayers
Share this article

Padiham went down to another Evo-Stik First Division North defeat on Saturday losing 3-1 away to Brighouse Town.

Leon Henry caused problems for the Storks early on when dragging an effort wide within the first minute before glancing a header beyond the upright moments later. Tyrone Gay also threatened but his header from a corner went over the crossbar.

Padiham’s Mark Sharples helped his defensive colleagues out with a goal-line clearance in the 11th minute and two minutes later Storks keeper Marcus Burgess was well placed to save a shot from Ryan Hall.

The home side’s pressure eventually paid off when Tom Matthews converted a ball in from the left to put Brighouse Town 1-0 up on 22 minutes.

Steve Wilkes’s side responded straight from the restart and home keeper Jacub Giles did well to keep out a Louis Mayers free kick under pressure from Brett Ormerod. Ben Allen then headed a Robbie Bromley cross against the home side’s post.

The visitors levelled just before the half hour mark when, following a foul on the edge of the penalty area, Louis Mayers smashed in a free-kick to make it 1-1, a scoreline that remained until half-time.

Six minutes into the second half however, Brighouse regained the lead when a well worked move ended with Hall scoring inside a crowded penalty area.

Marcus Burgess denied Brighouse another goal with a save with his legs before Padiham staged a grand stand finish that on another day might have earned them a point.

Tom Murphy and Martin Parkes both saw efforts just miss the target as Padiham piled on the pressure, but pushing men forward cost them a third goal when three minutes into added on time Earnest Boafa broke away to make it 3-1.

Elsewhere, Padiham FC Reserves recovered from going a goal down to beat AFC Fylde Reserves 3-1 in their Galaxy Lancashire League clash.

Corry Cook supplied the deliveries for Tom Anderton and Nathan Hudson to give the hosts the lead while Sam Langford rounded off the scoring just after the hour.