Padiham edge clear of drop zone after doing double over the Bears

BIG GOAL: Danny Boyle
BIG GOAL: Danny Boyle
Share this article

Goals from Jack Overson, Danny Boyle and Michael Morrison allayed Padiham’s relegation fears as they beat lowly Wakefield 3-0 to secure their first win of 2014.

The game kicked off 50 minutes later than scheduled as the Padiham team bus was delayed in horrendous traffic conditions, with the M62 being closed due to an accident. But the Storks wasted no time in getting going after their arrival.

After securing their first point of the calendar year just three days earlier against Prescot Cables, Overson, dismissed in that fixture, struck to open the scoring after 10 minutes when he pounced on a poor clearance following a Kieron Pickup corner.

Morrison went close to adding a second midway through the half when he angled a shot just wide after heavy pressure from the home keeper, and in the 33rd minute Boyle dragged another attempt wide with keeper Neil Bennett well beaten.

The home side’s best chance of the first half fell to Robert Bordman five minutes before half-time when his thunderous shot was turned away in style by Storks stopper Sean Davis to keep his side’s lead intact at the interval.

Lee Turner gave Padiham a scare three minutes into the second half when flashing an effort across the face of goal.

However, Steve Wilkes’s men responded by doubling their advantage just before the hour mark when Boyle netted at the back post after being picked out with precision by Dominic Craig following his foray down the left flank.

At the other end, as the hosts looked for a route back into the game at the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Stadium, Davis did well to keep out a deflected free kick which provided the platform for Padiham to kick on and secure the points.

In the 72nd minute, Pickup’s driving run and crossfield pass created the space for Boyle to hit the byeline and square the ball for Morrison who scored at the second attempt.

And with victory sealed, Davis ensured the visitors kept a clean sheet with a tremendous stop that kept out Ross Hardaker’s fizzing attempt in the 83rd minute.

The Storks now entertain Radcliffe Borough on Saturday with kick-off at 3 p.m. at the Arbories.