Padiham ease to victory

GOAL: Padiham players celebrate Neil Stansfield's goal
GOAL: Padiham players celebrate Neil Stansfield's goal

PADIHAM recovered from their midweek Lancashire FA Co-operative Challenge Trophy semi-final defeat to hammer Staffordshire-based club Norton United 4-0 at the Arbories in the North West Counties Football League on Saturday.

Neil Stansfield put the Stork ahead on 11 minutes after picking up a through ball from Ben Allen and shooting past Norton keeper Richard Brandon.

PADIHAM V NORTON UTD: Mark Sharples gets a challenge in.'Photo Ben Parsons

PADIHAM V NORTON UTD: Mark Sharples gets a challenge in.'Photo Ben Parsons

Allen then got in on the act himself on 22 minutes, bagging his 20th goal of the season with acrobatic effort that again had Brandon beaten all ends up.

Elliot Dunn and Keiran Pickup both went close before the Storks made it 3-0 on 34 minutes. A curling free-kick by Joe Garvin into the visitors’ 18-yard box caused all sorts of problems for Norton and after Allen’s initial effort was blocked, Pickup made sure of his strike, smashing the ball into the net from close range.

Padiham had a let off on 37 minutes when Darren Chadwick raced away, rounded Storks keeper Sean Davis only to see his shot cleared off the line and the ball scrambled to safety.

The half ended with Sam Morris hitting a Garvin onto the outside of the visitor’s post on 44 minutes.

Davis made the first of his two excellent second half saves when he turned a Richard Smith curling free-kick round the post on 52 while at the other end Pickup scored his second of teh afternoon when his run beat the visitors’ offside trap and the pacy forward lobbed his shot over the advancing Brandon on 65 minutes to make it 4-0 to Padiham.

Stansfield tested Brandon on 71 minutes and in the run up to full-time Davis made his second save of the half when he kept out a forceful effort from Daniel Brown and then watched Mark McDonald blast his rebound over the bar.

The game ended on a sour note however as an atrocious challenge by Norton substitute Michael Marrens looked to have seriously hurt Padiham’s Morris and in the melee that followed, Marrens was sent off and Padiham’s assistant manager Steve Cunningham removed from the dugout by referee Justin Hayes for his involvement in the fracas.

Padiham travel to Colne tonight in the league, kick-off 7-45pm.

Padiham FC you the team ran out easy winners against Oswaldtwistle St Mary’s youth team at the Arbories on Sunday to gain revenge over the only team that has beaten them in East Lancashire Alliance Under 18 Youth League fixture this season.

Danny Turner headed the Stroks ahead on the half-hour mark and 10 minutes later Andy Hill made it 2-0 from the penalty spot.

Joel Melia added the Storks’ third goal 10 minutes into the second half and a fourth came soon after by Harry Price. Ryan Black concluded teh scoring with two goals in the last 20 minutes of the game.

Padiham FC Ladies concluded a hat-trick of victories for the Storks’ sides over the weekend with a 6-0 home win over Penrith Ladies in the North West Women’s Regional League on Sunday.

Becky Hayton hit four of the Storks’ goals while Elise Howarth and Justine Wallace added the other two.