Padiham come from behind to win first point of 2014 with 10 men

Match action: Dominic Craig is pulled back
Match action: Dominic Craig is pulled back

Padiham picked up their first point of the year on Saturday - but they had to do it the hard way after twice going behind and having a man sent off.

The Storks and Prescot went into the match on the same points from the same number of games, so neither side could afford to lose as they fight to stay out of the EvoStik First Division North relegation zone.

And it was the visitors who scored the first goal after seven minutes when Isaac Kusaloka chipped keeper Sean Davis.

Keiron Pickup attempted a similar feat at the other end three minutes later, but failed to lift his shot over Daniel Lowton, who saved well.

Danny Boyle went close on 19 minutes but sent his angled shot into the side-netting, but the visitors remained a threat, and Robert Doran sent an effort just over.

The Storks had a great chance to equalise just before the half hour when full back Sam Morris sent in a pin-point cross which Louis Mayers headed over to let Prescot off the hook.

Two minutes later his miss was forgotten as he raced onto a Pickup throughball and smahed his shot past Lowton to level matters.

A well-worked Padiham free kick saw Chris Turner’s shot go wide, before Padiham suffered a major blow when Jack Overson was sent off six minutes before the break.

Half-time gave Padiham time to reorganise, but they came under early pressure, and only a save from close range from Davis from Kusaloka prevented Prescot regaining the lead.

On 56 minutes, Cables did go back in front after a well-worked move resulted in Phil Bannister getting the final touch to make it 2-1.

Davis had to be at his best to tip over a shot from former Stork Lloyd Balazs, and then keep out a header from a corner.

Pickup had an effort turned away by Lowton from a Turner free kick with 18 minutes left, and from the resulting corner, captain Martin Parkes forced the ball in from close range.

Two minutes later Ashley Carter headed in a cross from Turner, but the goal was ruled out for off-side.

The Storks held onto their hard-fought point, however, and travel to Wakefield tonight (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).

The reserves drew 1-1 at Coppull United in a friendly, with Paul Fildes on target.