Padiham 2, Congleton 0

GOAL: Sam Heap
GOAL: Sam Heap
Share this article

PADIHAM recorded their first home win since November as they beat Congleton Town 2-0 at the Arbories on Saturday.

Postponements and a couple of defeats had prevented the Storks from following up on that previous success against AFC Liverpool, but they made amends as Craig Chadwick’s side climbed towards mid-table in the NWC Premier Division.

The visitors opened well but it was the Storks who went closest to scoring as Sam Heap and Damien Morrison sent shots wide of the upright.

Congleton wasted a chance to take the lead on the half hour mark when Daniel Docherty fired straight at Padiham keeper Josh Boothman.

And Padiham made their opponents pay when a searching ball forward from Martin Broderick released Heap, who crashed a shot past Ashley Woodhouse to make it 1-0.

Padiham then doubled their advantage in the 42nd minute when Broderick beat Woodhouse direct from a free-kick to give the Storks a two goal cushion at the interval.

After the break Congleton had more of the play; shooting just over the bar in the 48th minute and testing Boothman moments later when a header by Chris Middleton from a set-piece needed the keeper to be on top form to tip the ball over.

The hosts had a good chance to score a third when Marc Taylor crossed from the left and captain Martin Parkes headed inches wide of the upright.

Congleton substitute Jack Graham wriggled free with 20 minutes remaining but his final effort missed the target.

Chadwick reverted to playing five at the back in a bid to see the game out, and that proved to be the case as they recorded their first clean sheet of the year to claim all three points.

The Storks entertain Ashton Athletic at the Arbories on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Padiham Reserves dominated the opening exchanges of their clash with Glossop North End Reserves but eventually had to settle for a point.

The hosts scored against the run of play in the 26th minute, breaking the deadlock direct from a free-kick.

Padiham levelled eight minutes later from the penalty spot as Michael Taylor netted following a foul on Curtis Gallagher.

The second half was again dominated by Padiham who hit the woodwork on three occasions; Andrew Hargreaves headed against the bar, Gallagher smashed an effort against the post before a Hargreaves corner was glanced on to the bar. However, the game ended 1-1.

Elsewhere, Padiham FC’s A team suffered a setback in their push for promotion in the East Lancashire Football League despite a hat-trick from Cole Hayman.

The Storks failed to close in on league leaders Rock Rovers as Barrowford Celtic took advantage of some poor defending to score four times.

And Padiham FC Ladies found Blackburn Rovers Ladies too much of a challenge in the semi-final of the Lancashire FA Womens County Cup as they lost 5-0 at the Arbories.

Rovers booked a place in the final at Leyland after scoring four first half goals and adding a fifth midway through the second half.