Padiham 2, Askhern Villa 5

PENALTY: Lee Morris
PENALTY: Lee Morris
Share this article

PADIHAM started the weekend’s FA Vase tie against Askern Villa at the Arbories with high hopes of progressing to the third round of the competition.

However, after the final whistle they found themselves on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline against opposition that quite simply wanted the victory more than the Storks.

The South Yorkshire side took full advantage of Padiham’s slow start to the game and took the lead in the 10th minute when Jay Rollins beat the offside trap to fire past Josh Boothman and put the Doncaster-based club 1-0 ahead.

Eight minutes later Boothman was relieved to save another Askern effort at the second attempt which proved to be a turning point in the first half.

Andy Sensale tested visiting keeper Liam Copley with a goalbound header from a Barry Shuttleworth free-kick in the 22nd minute. Then came the equaliser; Copley’s foul on Sensale inside the area resulted in a spot kick which Lee Morris converted.

Craig Chadwick’s side then profited from that momentum as they took the lead in the 32nd minute through Shuttleworth and could have extended that cushion before the interval but Copley made an important save from Sensale’s close range effort.

But that rhythm was hindered early in the second half when Boothman spilled a shot before Rollins followed up to tuck the loose ball away and make it 2-2. Boothman made up for that error saving twice from Micky Evans on the hour while at the other end a Morris strike went inches wide of the post.

The visitors shocked Padiham in the 70th minute when a set-piece swung in to the Storks 18-yard box wasn’t cleared and Tom McLaughlin ran in at the back post to fire Askern ahead. Martin Parkes had a great chance to equalise two minutes later but he headed Martin Broderick’s centre over.

But the game was effectively over as a contest with eight minutes remaining as substitute Brad Johnston cut in from the right and angled in a shot to make it 4-2. Padiham responded with a Broderick effort which cannoned back off the crossbar and Copley maintained the two-goal lead with a great save to deny Stuart Telfer.

In injury time the away side added a fifth when a break and cross from the right was headed in by Gary Collier.

Elsewhere, Padiham Reserves earned a 1-1 draw with neighbours Nelson.

A poor first half performance from the Storks was reflected by the 1-0 scoreline in favour of their derby rivals at the interval. But Padiham hit back in the second half and hit the woodwork before grabbing a late equaliser thanks to a headed goal by Daniel Fagan following an 85th minute corner.

Padiham FC’s A team entertained East Lancashire Division Two leaders Rock Rovers at Fennyfold on Saturday and pushed them all the way.

The table toppers took the lead only for Stephen Cassidy to equalise soon after. But the Storks were crushed as the full-time whistle approached when Rock stole the points, scoring twice to make the final score 3-1.

Meanwhile, Padiham under-18s battled back from falling behind twice to triumph in a five-goal thriller over Clitheroe Wolves.

The Storks fell behind in the 20th minute of their East Lancashire Alliance Youth League fixture but Ben Lee levelled matters when he headed in a long throw in the 35th minute.

Just before the break though the home side regained the advantage from the rebound of Liam Clark’s penalty save. Padiham equalised again in the 65th minute as Matty Ashworth forced the ball across the line from Cole Hayman’s long throw-in.

Andy Hill then decided the clash from the penalty spot with 10 minutes remaining to make it 3-2. However, there was still time for Hill to miss from 12 yards out when another spot kick grazed the outside of the post.

And Leighton Fishwick was named man of the match as Padiham under 12s lost a close affair 1-0 at the hands of Blue Star.

Padiham Ladies produced the outstanding result of the Lancashire FA County Womens Challenge Cup quarter-final ties when they beat Northern Combination side Salford Ladies 4-3 to reach the last four of the competition.

Padiham were the underdogs of the clash facing a side two divisions above them but they thoroughly deserved their cup success. Two goals from Justine Wallace in as many minutes put the Storks 2-0 ahead five minutes before half-time but in first half injury time the visitors pulled a goal back.

Charlotte Holden increased Padiham’s lead five minutes in to the second half but two goals in six minutes saw Salford draw level at 3-3. But the Storks responded well and regained the lead almost immediately as Holden scored what proved to be the winning goal.

They will now face either Blackburn Rovers Ladies or Preston North End Ladies in the semi-final.